Dacor Viper Metal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Takuan

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all,

first of all, an upfron apology if I haven't searched well enough, but I could not find answers to all my questions, and thought that it would be good to consolidate them here. Would be great if anyone could offer any advice available.

Anyway, I am looking to buy my first regulator, and can get a good deal (I think) for a Dacor Viper Metal at my local Amsterdam diveshop (€ 219).

Also, I am a mainly recreational diver, PADI advanced, and will for example be diving in the red sea next week. From next year on I will be living in New Zealand, so slightly colder conditions will apply. I am also not an expert on equipment

My questions:
1. Is this a good regulator?
2. Can it still be serviced (I saw some discussions on this)?
3. My sales guy said a good alternative would be the Mares Proton 12 metal, but it's a few price brackets up. Does anyone know how they compare?
4. Should I buy it with Yoke or DIN300b connections? I will be using rental equipment mostly with it.

Many thanks in advance!

I am a Dacor fan. My wife and I both bought Vipers (non metal) for our first reg sets and have been very happy. I recently upgraded to Oceanic Delta 4 and although it breathes a bit easier, I miss the side exhaust of the Viper and I keep it as a backup for a future pony rig project. Parts and service can be complicated but ST still does overhauls. Bottom line, decent breather with no bubbles in the face and although first stage is a bit clunky and no enviro sealing, a nice streamlined reg with unique looks.

To lay your concerns at ease.

Viper Metal is a great reg for diving in all conditions, cold or warm.
Technically it is a Mares built regulator, therefore parts are available and it is definitely serviceable.
Din or Yoke, I would assume yoke, but I'll let a world of divers chime in on this one as well.

Anyhow, enjoy either of the two regs you mentioned, they are great!

Best,

Thanks for the replies all. Buying the 2nd hand is not an option :( : I want to purchase it before the weekend, as I will be diving in the Red Sea from Sunday.

Cheers,

Send me a PM on that octo.

Thanks / Stu

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom