Oceanic FDX-10/Delta 4 observations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamasmith

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I got convinced by the deal on a regulator at one of the dive shops that I was visiting and got a good price on the FDX-10 w' Delta 4, Alpha 8 Octopus, Swiv Navcon and a transmitter for my Suunto D9.

I then headed off to the pool at my Dive club to check the equipment out - make sure it was problem free and see just how good it was.

I spent the session in the pool swimming in every possible direction including doing a lot of upside down stuff, duck dives, backward loops etc. just to see if the Delta 4 got any water in it at all. I have to say that it was perfect and completely dry... but I found that halfway through the pool session that my mouth and throat were desperately dry which is something that I hadn't encountered before when diving with Scuba Pro equipment at various resorts.

Is this observation on the dryness directly related to no water sitting in the 2nd stage? I'm guessing that if there is a little water in the 2nd stage that it will naturally hydrate the dry air coming from the tank... and how long does it take to get used to this?

My second observation is on the quality of the dust cap provided..

I got home from the pool session, made sure that the dust cap was secure and put the reg set into the bath for a while to get rid of the chlorine. It was only when I was checking the equipment later that I discovered that the dust cap had actually split :O

Thankfully the dive shop assured me that the DVT component in the FDX-10 would actually handle submersion up to 1m and that my equipment wasn't in any danger (that was kinda nice since I was scared that I had fritzed the lot) and they provided me with a far more substantial rigid conical dust cap with an O-ring in it. Is this normal to have pricey equipment let down by a manufacturer providing cheap rather than substantial parts on an otherwise reasonable unit?

The quality of the dust cap will most certainly be one of the things that I will check out in future and if it isn't up to scratch I will most certainly be purchasing a replacement.

-Andy

Well for starters, as Oceanic says on their website 'There is a reason it's called a dustcap and not a watercap". That was the whole point of designing the DVT system, because no dustcap out there truly seals the first stage. With the DVT on your regulator, you don't need to worry about the cheapness of the dustcap.

Well, I guess I was more concerned about it from the caution that the guy in the shop that originally sold me the unit had. He was saying that the DVT would handle splashes but never submerge it in water (off a tank of course) without a dust cap fitted.

I'm just a bit bemused why a reg set like this couldn't be supplied with a component that may cost 75c more but would stand a little more handling.

Sure, I get the point now and am happy that my gear was in no danger. However, imagine that you had bought a load of equipment for students to use and the first thing they were going to do was to split those dust caps.

The next thing you know one has come off in the soaking tank and something has touched the DVT nipple and it only needs the tiniest of touches to open the port and then you have a flooded 1st stage.

I'm guessing a dive school op would be vigilant about these things but IMHO these things should be made to last like the rest of the reg.

-Andy

I just purchased an fdx-10... I don't have any issues with the dust cap at all. Could it be that you overtightened the thing? I wonder if you can take a pic of it? I would like to see if its the same dust cap used as I heard they come different ways. My dust cap seems to be very very ridgid.

Alas the thing is in the bin at the dive shop but I am willing to concede that I may have over tightened it. I am still of the opinion though that since I didn't feel any resistance whilst tightening the screw and still split the dust cap that it should be more robust.

Anyway I'm happy that my fat fingers won't mash the new one :).

Any comments on the dryness observation?

There have been a few reports here on SB about the dustcaps being inadequate, but more from a subjective point of view. You might be the first person I've heard of actually splitting one.

But as you found out, the dustcap doesn't really matter.

You picked a great reg, you're going to love it.

The drymouth never goes away. I've made 150+ dives on my D4s and still have drymouth.

I take pictures on most of my dives, so I spend lots of time in contorted positions. The Delta IVs always breathe dry.

Thanks for the assurance Phil and despite my negative thoughts on the dust cap and the dryness I think this is a superb reg. It is so easy to breath and the ball joint is no gimmick you can't tell there's a hose attached.

Cool photo library btw ^^, I wish I could get to as many places as you have been :)

I got convinced by the deal on a regulator at one of the dive shops that I was visiting and got a good price on the FDX-10 w' Delta 4, Alpha 8 Octopus, Swiv Navcon and a transmitter for my Suunto D9.

I then headed off to the pool at my Dive club to check the equipment out - make sure it was problem free and see just how good it was.

I spent the session in the pool swimming in every possible direction including doing a lot of upside down stuff, duck dives, backward loops etc. just to see if the Delta 4 got any water in it at all. I have to say that it was perfect and completely dry... but I found that halfway through the pool session that my mouth and throat were desperately dry which is something that I hadn't encountered before when diving with Scuba Pro equipment at various resorts.

Is this observation on the dryness directly related to no water sitting in the 2nd stage? I'm guessing that if there is a little water in the 2nd stage that it will naturally hydrate the dry air coming from the tank... and how long does it take to get used to this?

My second observation is on the quality of the dust cap provided..

I got home from the pool session, made sure that the dust cap was secure and put the reg set into the bath for a while to get rid of the chlorine. It was only when I was checking the equipment later that I discovered that the dust cap had actually split :O

Thankfully the dive shop assured me that the DVT component in the FDX-10 would actually handle submersion up to 1m and that my equipment wasn't in any danger (that was kinda nice since I was scared that I had fritzed the lot) and they provided me with a far more substantial rigid conical dust cap with an O-ring in it. Is this normal to have pricey equipment let down by a manufacturer providing cheap rather than substantial parts on an otherwise reasonable unit?

The quality of the dust cap will most certainly be one of the things that I will check out in future and if it isn't up to scratch I will most certainly be purchasing a replacement.

-Andy

Maybe the plastic parts in your second stage is giving you dry mouth,Thats why when i upgrade this year i am getting the ScubaPro g250 vintage it has metal parts that draw moisture,that means no dry mouth.
One question,why didnt you get a Scuba Pro?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom