any dif in breathing spMk25 Vs Mk17

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

squidster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was just wondering if there are any Divers who have used scubapro Mk25 and Mk17 regs enough to notice any breathing differences.
The Mk25 is supossed to breathe better in low air or hardworking situations,but is it at all noticible compared to Mk17 with the same second stage?
I know the Mk17 is supposed to be a better cold and dirty enviroment reg, but does the Mk25 really breathe alot better then the Mk17?
And on a scale of 1-10 how would you rate these regs indivdually?

I have both set (MK25/G250HPs & MK17/G250HPs). NOPE!!!

I can NOT notice....

I grabbed MK17s because there are many applauses in the market. However, my MK25AF/G250HPs set is also more than enough at 39F degree water.

MK25AF is better resale value and easy to sell later.

I switched from Mk 25's on my doubles to Mk 17's due to the greater cold water reliablility of the Mk 17 but I retained my same D400 second stages.

During the conversion process I set up one Mk 17 and one Mk 25 feeding a gas block to the same second stage. I could not tell any difference in second stage performance regardless of what first stage was in use. The max depth was about 150 ft on the dive and betwene the depth and the very easy breathing D400 regulator, if there was a noticeable difference, I would have noticed it.

Personally, I prefer the MK 17 for hose routing as well. If you mount it sideways the two or three hoses on each first stage (on your doubles) point basically straight down and create very clean hose routing that is much tighter and neater than the hose routing you get from Mk 25's, despite the Mk 25 being well liked for the hose routing options allowed by tusing the LP port on the end of the reg.

On a single tank, the Mk 25 is a little neater with 4 or more hoses. But, if you reduce this to 3 hoses by using an Air 2 you once again can mount the first stage on it's side and get exceptionally clean and low drag hose mounting. My warm water recreational/travel wing is set up this way and it is super clean.

I think if you and 15-20 of your closest friends were all breathing heavy off the same first stage (you'd need lots of adapters) there might be a difference. If I'm not mistaken, 2 high performance 2nd stages both on full purge still flow less than either the MK25 or Mk17.

Didn't someone do a demonstration once where there was some ridiculous number of 2nd stages all hooked up to a MK25?

Back
Top Bottom