Free flow at depth

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

netwayne

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I know we are taught in class to "sip the air" from a free flowing reg as we ascend but is there a reason why I couldn't go to my alternate air source and ascend? I do realize that I would be burning more air that way and I would really need to keep a close eye on the spg.

Dumb question, from someone not an expert in regulators: how often is a free flow due to a first stage, versus a second stage, malfunction? Is first stage failure very common, e.g., from freezing?

If your other second stage isn't freeflowing, and it's easier to breathe from it, there's no reason not to switch. Once you have switched, you can fiddle with the original second stage, while you are ascending, and see if you can get the freeflow to stop (eg. if it's due to debris in the regulator, you may be able to dislodge it and get the reg to shut off).

Even better than switching, though, is to go on your buddy's alternate. Then you are breathing a regulator which is not experiencing the malfunction yours is, and your buddy's tank should have enough reserve to get both you and him to the surface, in a stressed condition, without problems. Then, if you wish, you can shut DOWN your tank, get rid of the bubbles, the noise, and the visual interference, and surface calmly.

If you're by yourself (and your buddy is somewhere else totally obivious to your current predicament); sure, you can switch to your alternate reg. If you can't stop the freeflow from your primary reg (i.e. my mishap turned out to be a blown-out cracking adjustment knob), you will have to reach back and modulate/feather your tank valve as you do a CESA.

In this scenario, your tank is going to empty in a hurry. A study was done not too long ago, and if I recall correctly, the tank went from full to empty in just a few minutes (feel free to correct me if I am wrong, I do not have the study in front of me).

You need to get the attention of your buddy FIRST, then begin your ascent together. Since your diving a single tank, you aren't in deco or overhead...are you...? There is no real reason to shut down the tank, fiddle with the reg, etc.

Sure might as well shut down the tank (if your buddy is there to donate gas): why waste gas? Unless you want to orally inflate your wing/BCD at the surface, why let your gas supply expire?

Does that really matter? I hope orally inflating isn't a big deal. On a single. On the surface. With a near empty tank at this point.

Shut it down or not, it makes no difference. I just disagree with feathering the valve, shutting down and trying to clean the reg, switching regs, etc. On a single, a freeflow = mandatory thumb. There are times (in a cave, or a deeper dive) that shutting down a post and fixing stuff could be appropriate, but this isn't one of those times.

I suppose the extra comma should have been replaced by an "and" in my first post. My apologies for not being more clear.

Get your buddies attention (this secures a reliable gas supply), begin ascent either a) sharing gas with tank shut down (probably what I would do) or b) begin ascent breathing freeflowing reg (dependant on depth and remaining gas/ rate of freeflow).

Just an example of a first stage issue: my brand new regulator first stage needed a tune up after only 5 months of diving. The LDS told me that the first stage pressure (to intermediate pressure area) was close to being too high which would cause second stage to freeflow.

I know we are taught in class to "sip the air" from a free flowing reg as we ascend but is there a reason why I couldn't go to my alternate air source and ascend? I do realize that I would be burning more air that way and I would really need to keep a close eye on the spg.

Having been in this situation recently (100+ feet, 40* water, with a free flow - 2 minutes of air remaining, 7 minutes from the surface on a normal ascent), I got my buddies attention, switched over to my backup air supply - a separate tank, NOT the octo - that wouldn't have helped any. It was easier to have my buddy shut off the free flowing tank than to do it myself, so he shut it off, we notified the other buddy pairs around us, and turned the dive.

Made an uneventful surfacing and switched regulators for the rest of the day.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom