regulator confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikeemike1982

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
hello

someone i know wants to sell me a regulator at a good price..he says its really good.it is a dacor reg and octo..i dont know the model but seems fairly new..after researching i found out that this dacor company no longer exists or was taken over by mares and can be hard to service...my question is are their any dacor regs still being made? when were the last ones made? should i forget this brand totally,whats the deal? does mares still make any regs under the dacor name? just trying to find out if this reg is possibly new or old and if this model is fine to purchase and can be serviced because i believe only some cannot... this is the link with a pic of it. thanks

http://fortlauderdale.craigslist.org/spo/464593666.html

Mares/Dacor is offering The Dacor Regulator Upgrade Program. And now the whole story!

If you have an old Dacor regulator, you may have been faced with the problem that parts are no longer available for it. Dacor used to be a family owned company, but they fell on hard times, and sold the company to Head Sports (who also owns Mares in 1999. Unfortunately, all of the molds for spare parts for the old regs were destroyed. The Mares factory in Italy started making new Dacor regs, but the cost of tooling for old repair parts was not feasible. So now if you have one of the old Pacers, Quantums, etc... you can't get them serviced.

The good news is, now to help those who have these old regs, Mares is offering a trade up program. This gives you the opportunity to get a new reg at a sizable discount. If you would like to upgrade your old reg, simply print out
The Trade Up PDF Form and mail it along with your regulator to us. If you want to remove your other hoses, you can ship just the 1st and 2nd stages, or send the whole thing and we will assemble your equipment onto the new regulator for you at no charge.

Hope this helps.

Are you sure the Mares upgrade program is still available? I seem to remember something about a time window for it that has passed. I could be wrong.

If you can post the model and/or serial# on the Mares forum, I'm sure someone will tell you if this reg is still servicable.

OPPS ... Sorry the upgrade offer did expire Sept 30th '06. Thank you mattboy. I JUST SHOT THAT OUT WITHOUT READING IT. Sorry Folks!!! I'm Bad!!!

It's hard to tell for sure from the picture, but it looks liek an older pacer 360 first stage whch is also consistent age wise with the fins and BC - so I'd avoid the whole deal as it is waaay to much money for a new door stop.

the guy says its a eagle model approximetly 3 years old..i dunno..might be better to avoid this since it might be trouble..thanks

I will side with the others for regulator advice but if you can get your hands on that 6 pounds for $5, especially if there's a weightbelt with it that would be a good deal (at least around here where lead is $2 per pound). There's no picture of the dive bag but for $10 who can't use another piece of luggage!

BTW, I have a weightbelt/lead fetish and a thing for luggage...I'm DROOLING here!
Ber :lilbunny:

Looks like the new Dacor, to me. When you look at the second stage from the front, the new "Mares" Dacor regs will be elliptical of football-shaped. Those have parts avilable.

Is it a good deal? Remember that annual service may be needed, and free parts are only available to the first owner. parts and service may be $80.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom