Brut?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Garrobo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Bought a Sherwood second stage at a sale today. Seller said it was a BRUT. Nothing on it except a serial number (B607890) and some Sherwood logos on the hose and fittings. Looked at Sherwood's website and couldn't find anything which would tell me if it really is a BRUT and/or the year of manufacture. Anyone help me out here?

I know a great site that has all the info you need...

Seek, and ye shall find!

Returned 140,000 results on the search terms SHERWOOD and BRUT

Garrobo, can you describe it to me a bit more? Are there metal vains inside the mouthpiece?

All of Sherwood's 2nd stages are essentially the same piece of gear. The Maximus just has a few extra pieces in it compared to the rest. If it has metal vains in it, it's a Blizzard/Oasis, and if it does not it's a Brut/Magnum.

Scuba.com: I see no 'vains' (separators?) in the mouthpiece. So it must be either a BRUT/Magnum. Now how do I tell which and what would be the difference in them? I've seen some BRUTs which have the name printed on the depressor button. Google didn't help much except to send me to places where I can buy a new one. I've got a nice BRUT first stage and I want to put a matching set on my pony bottle.

I know a great site that has all the info you need...

Seek, and ye shall find!

Returned 140,000 results on the search terms SHERWOOD and BRUT

Or he can go here, www.scubaboard.com , to ask his question and get a couple of dozen results that directly answer his question and not waste hours wading through useless hits and which may also aid others that have the same query.

Googlesnobs, :shakehead:.

You're right, you answered the question straight away. Oh wait, no you didn't.

Canadians.

Scuba.com: I see no 'vains' (separators?) in the mouthpiece. So it must be either a BRUT/Magnum. Now how do I tell which and what would be the difference in them? I've seen some BRUTs which have the name printed on the depressor button. Google didn't help much except to send me to places where I can buy a new one. I've got a nice BRUT first stage and I want to put a matching set on my pony bottle.

The Sherwood first stage isn't actually the best pony bottle reg. to have. The bleeding first stage can be an annoyance during a dive. You don’t lose too much gas on a dive, but you still lose gas. Also, no one likes to lose helium –based mixes on a dive. Compressed air no real biggie.

The Bruts second stages come in a variety. I am familiar with two at the moment. One is the conventional, round second stage with a screw on diaphragm cover with bezel. Easy to work on. They used this model on Bruts & Magnums during the 90's? Breathes pretty well, but not great.

The other is a smaller profile, squarish design with a reg. cover you have to ease off. It breathes doggy IMO. The logo on the front also peels of easily. Inside it has a blue diaphragm...small.

"Matching set"?

If you mean functionally matching, it's a match, since the more recent Sherwood second stages are all based on the same design.

If you mean cosmetically matching, perhaps you can order a "Brut" purge button nameplate somewhere.

The set will be more impressive without it, though, since Brut is Sherwood's base model. :wink:

By the way, I'm a Sherwood fan and have used Bruts, Magnums and Blizzards. They all perform fine with no significant difference in performance in typical open water depths and conditions.

Now, I'm really interested in knowing what kind of sale it was and what you paid. C'mon, give it up! :)

Dave C

Garrobo,

I can't figure out how to include the picture in my post but if you take a look at my gallery is it like the Octo shown there. (There's only a few pics in my gallery so it's easy to find.)

Back
Top Bottom