WIRELESS SD Card

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RTRski

Contributor
Reaction score
Just saw this and I know not every system out there takes SD cards, and for that matter 2 GB isn't as big as it used to be. But couldn't help thinking it would be awesome to not have to remove your camera from your housing to DL photos.

Granted you probably need to open the housing to swap batteries around the same timeframe as emptying a memory card, but still, I like the idea...anything that reduces the number of times you have to seal/unseal on an o-ring can only help reduce flood risks, IMO.

Link: Eye-Fi » Home (weird looking link I know, but it does work)

Thanks for the info.

But, $99/2gb Eye-Fi.... Hmm..... Not yet for me...

Honestly, I really don't see the need, I guess it's useful if you take huge pictures but otherwise, is there REALLY a time when you are near an internet connection but not a computer.

Being a geek and a gadget fiend, I have ordered one of these. WIll let you guys know how it works. Having said that, do keep in mind that this will only transfer certain files such as jpegs, bmps, etc. If you shoot RAW like I prefer to for UW pics, they wont even transmit to your Laptop.

oh really? It's limited firmware? Guess I should've read the description better. I was imagining it just added a WAP and acted like a networked drive then. Darn.

Then again, the only camera I have that uses SD doesn't do RAW, so maybe they've studied their market well. In response to being near a wireless point but not a computer, I'd also assumed that you could just connect directly to a wireless laptop in ad hoc mode. Maybe I'm wrong there too.

dpreview.com just reviewed it too I saw - haven't read it yet though.

EDIT - just did read it. In retrospect, due to how slow it is, doesn't sound that great after all. Although the way they describe plugging it into a reader to 'program' or configure the wireless point does seem to indicate that you could set it up to run in ad hoc connection mode.

I had wifi in my coopix P3. Transfer was VERY slow (as much as 20 seconds per 8MP image) and it drained batteries quick. I tried to trasnfer once from within the UW housing (a Fantasea polycarbonate housing) and had a very difficult time getting and keeping a connection with my laptop. I'm sure this eye-fi card has a small internal antenae (smaller than that in my P3), so I imagine the signal would be even weaker than what I had in the P3, that may help battery life a bit, but it might make it even harder to get a decent connection especially from within a housing.

Back
Top Bottom