Lightest, smallest regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The standard Mares Proton is another excellent choice. It is very small, and lightweight.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

Ben
Thanks for inputs. I did check the Aqualung mikron site, there's no weight data for the second stage. Seem not very easy to find this reg. at online shop. I've checked ST, Scuba.com, divers-supply, leisurepro - can't find.

Greg
For mares proton 12, the second stage is 176 gram and for Rebel 12/2 is 200 seem not small different but the prices of Rebel is much cheaper than Proton.
Any significant difference (particularly on safety) between Proton and Mares for bubble maker - or Jr. OW - all the time we are in tropical warm water.

thanks again

Wow, 8 years old and diving. If it's safety you're concerned about, I would suggest the SP MK2, with whatever is the current downstream smaller SP 2nd stage, maybe R390? It's not like the others are unsafe, though.

I wouldn't get too hung up on small or lightweight; in the water the weight difference between most 2nd stages is almost imperceptable. Getting the right mouthpiece and hose length is going to make a much bigger difference.

If you happen to find an Oceanic Zeta, they are quite small and light as well.

Ben
Greg
For mares proton 12, the second stage is 176 gram and for Rebel 12/2 is 200 seem not small different but the prices of Rebel is much cheaper than Proton.
Any significant difference (particularly on safety) between Proton and Mares for bubble maker - or Jr. OW - all the time we are in tropical warm water.

thanks again

The Proton is considerably smaller in diameter, along with most other dimensions. For a child, it would likely be a better canidate. The Rebel is being replaced with the new Prestige model. The Proton will also show less wear and tear, as the outer layer is a softer material that is more abrasion resistant.

Greg Barlow

Back
Top Bottom