Need expert opinion about which regulator to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverone

Reaction score
hi every1 im a new diver with 10+ dives, and now im planning to buy a regulator set

the things is, there are 2 regulator distributor, here in my part of the globe.

SCUBAPRO and MARES

can anybody give expert opinion on which one to buy.

tnx in advance:D

hi every1 im a new diver with 10+ dives, and now im planning to buy a regulator set

SCUBAPRO and MARES

Scubapro.....

I think Mares is a French word for freeflow.

I do like their Quatro fins, however.

I bought a sherwood maximus and have had no problems with it. I did alot of research and found they have been around for ever and are very reliable.

I bought a sherwood maximus and have had no problems with it. I did alot of research and found they have been around for ever and are very reliable.

Pardon my confusion. Is Sherwood Maximus made by Scubapro or Mares?

some of the scubapros have life time parts replacement and are very good regs. Ide look into one of those models.

I suspect neither. Last I heard, Sherwood sells their own gear.

Been wrong before, maybe this time too?

SCUBAPRO and MARES

IMHO - Scubapro makes better regs. However, they can be pricey as they offer lifetime parts if you meet certain requirements. You need to figure out what type if diving you plan to do and that you want from a regulator. Once Head (the parent company of Mares) stopped supplying older Dacor parts, I have to wonder is Mares will continue supporting their equipment after 20 years. Note that any Scubapro reg, dating before 1960, can be serviced, even upgraded. Outstanding point for scubapro.

Equipment comes in different levels, low end, mid and high end. I would recommend you avoid the low end regs. Typically, they are ""not balanced", pushing you to upgrade in a few years. IMHO, buying mid range equipment is smarter. If you want to read some reviews, check out Rodales.

Happy Shopping - Tom

I would go with a good value ScubaPro...they can be a bit more pricey, but are a work horse. Mares IMO is a designer company, and as stated may drop parts is the future. I am a AquaLung guy, but ScubaPro would be my second choice.

Good one! This addresses one of the most common annoying responses to gear questions: Should I get A or B? Get C.

If you post this on the regulator forum you'll get way more useless replies.:wink:

Good one! This addresses one of the most common annoying responses to gear questions: Should I get A or B? Get C.

If you post this on the regulator forum you'll get way more useless replies.:wink:

Well said :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom