Hollis Prism 2 CCR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caveseeker7

Contributor
Reaction score
Now that DEMA has come and gone I thought I'll ask a few questions about the PRISM 2. :D

Mostly they'll center around similarities and differences to the well known PRISM Topaz.
Those of you who're intrested but don't know the Topaz, I wrote a little article about the unit that explains it quite well I believe.

Anyway, here we go, Nick. Correct where I'm wrong regarding the PRISM 2, and feel free to give elaborate answers. :D

Let's start with the loop, the direction of the gas flow has been reversed. Good idea, I believe, as it places the lean gas (diluent) on the left and the rich gas (O2) on the right, which has been for most part accepted as a standard.

Judging from the pictures posted at RBW, the DSV has changed, the beautiful trademark brass connectors are gone.
Is the entire DSV new, or just the connectors?
If new, what material is being used?
Will a BOV be available (OC integrated DSV for bailout - you do build 2nd stages :D ).
Major safety improvement when implemented correctly IMHO.

The counterlungs look the same as before, just mounted opposite to match the gas flow. Aside from also reversing the O2 manual add valve so it stays out of the way on the inside of the exhalation lung, is that correct?
Weight pouches and purge valves on both counterlungs stay as before?
I do hope so, both work well, and the latter are a must for overhead environments. IMHO.

I take it the intake plenum has been changed to match the opposite direction of the gas flow while still routing the gas down the center tube of the radial scrubber to flow outward through the absobant?

Several baskets I've seen have broken frames from being filled too tightly, or otherwise damaged. Will there be a change of material to the scrubber basket?

What about the O-rings, the propriatary ones between head and bucket in particular.
Will they stay the off D-shape, or be changed to standard O-rings?

Inside the head, on the loop side, any changes other than the intake plenum mentioned before?
And on the subject of the head, again the question regarding material for future production.
Will the material change to one that is stronger?
The material on the PRISM Topaz frequently could not take the abuse of air travel, small boat transfer to dive sites etc I'm afraid.

Inhalation lung, will the combo ADV/MAV for the diluent stay?
I like the reliability of a plunger style valve over a diaphram design, though I gather some people have had problems with plunger hitting the plate inside the bag due twisted/loose bags.

The cowling. Personally I really believe it is not an option, but a must have item to protect the unit, no matter what material is used for production. Even if it's just cosmetic protection.
Will the cowling be stock?
And will it be available in another color than blue metallic?
That's just sooo ... John Travolta ... 80s :11:

And last but not least, the electronics. Important item!
Liked the Topaz layout for most part. Simplicity was great, the ability to physically shut down the power supply and use the analog gauge to monitor pO2 an advantage not to be underestimated. Automatic setpoint switching perfect for most occasions. Cell tracking a good item. HUD easy to read and well implemented (safe for the mount).

How will the setpoint electronics change?
How will the displays change, analog secondary, digital secondary, both?
HUD as a primary, or will there be a separate primary display, reading all cells?
And give additional info? :D
Will onboard deco be available? The long promised, undiluted RGBM?

And of course, since Oceanic has been leading the way with the wireless data mask ... :D
Will it be available for the PRISM 2?
With cell readout, tank pressure readout?

That's all the unit specific questions I can think about right now.

But there are a few more of course. :D

When will the PRISM 2 be available?
Where will the PRISM 2 be available?
Just within the US, overseas?
Will it be tested to CE standard for certification and sale in Europe?
Will it be independently tested at all?
How much will it cost?

And not about the unit itself, but regarding training.
Who will be training people? Including current and new instructors.
What about current PRISM Topaz instructors and divers, will they have to go through training again?
Will training be available in Europe?

Nick, know you're be exhausted from the show and quite busy following it up.
I've been there myself. I rather wait a few days for a response, but would appreciate it very much if you take the time to reply.

TIA
Stefan

I'm curious, did the Pelagic group purchase the rights to produce the prism from Steam Machines? Is Steam Machines finished?

Stefan, your answers are below

Mostly they'll center around similarities and differences to the well known PRISM Topaz.
Those of you who're intrested but don't know the Topaz, I wrote a little article about the unit that explains it quite well I believe.

Let's start with the loop, the direction of the gas flow has been reversed. Good idea, I believe, as it places the lean gas (diluent) on the left and the rich gas (O2) on the right, which has been for most part accepted as a standard.

Yes, we wanted to support the existing taining base. The Prism 2 loop is a mirror of the Prism topaz

Judging from the pictures posted at RBW, the DSV has changed, the beautiful trademark brass connectors are gone.

We may make the connectors out of brass if we need weight and use that mouthpiece.

Is the entire DSV new, or just the connectors?

We had an early version of a mouthpiece that has unique low resistive effort directional vlaves, We should have this component set completed when we start shipping the Prism 2. We may ship the Prism 2 with the Prism Topaz mouthpiece, we have a significant engineering review of the Prism underway.

If new, what material is being used?

The plastic parts are ABS and the rubber parts are Silicone or EPDM. We will investigate using glass filled nylon, Xenoy, stainless steel or brass. We will make the decision as to what material use in an engineering review.

Will a BOV be available (OC integrated DSV for bailout - you do build 2nd stages ).

We are working on this and if there is significant demand we will offer this as an option.

Major safety improvement when implemented correctly IMHO.

Correctly is the operative word.

The counterlungs look the same as before, just mounted opposite to match the gas flow. Aside from also reversing the O2 manual add valve so it stays out of the way on the inside of the exhalation lung, is that correct?

Yes, the Prism 2 is a mirror of the Prism Topaz

Weight pouches and purge valves on both counterlungs stay as before?

Yes, we may add some additional optional weight pouches in the top of the backpack.

I do hope so, both work well, and the latter are a must for overhead environments. IMHO.

Thanks for YHO!

I take it the intake plenum has been changed to match the opposite direction of the gas flow while still routing the gas down the center tube of the radial scrubber to flow outward through the absobant?

Yes, as before the Prism 2 is a mirror of the Prism Topaz

Several baskets I've seen have broken frames from being filled too tightly, or otherwise damaged. Will there be a change of material to the scrubber basket?

We are working on an engineering review of the Prism. We are looking closely at materials, manufacturing processes, keeping durability and safety in mind, any changes we make will be well thought out and tested. Thanks for the input.

What about the O-rings, the propriatary ones between head and bucket in particular.
Will they stay the off D-shape, or be changed to standard O-rings?

We are working on an engineering review of the Prism. We are looking closely at materials, manufacturing processes, keeping durability and safety in mind, any changes we make will be well thought out and tested.

Inside the head, on the loop side, any changes other than the intake plenum mentioned before? And on the subject of the head, again the question regarding material for future production.

We are working on an engineering review of the Prism. We are looking closely at materials, manufacturing processes, keeping durability and safety in mind, any changes we make will be well thought out and tested.

Will the material change to one that is stronger?

IF any changes are made we will be sure through testing that we only improve safety, durability and performance.

The material on the PRISM Topaz frequently could not take the abuse of air travel, small boat transfer to dive sites etc I'm afraid.

Inhalation lung, will the combo ADV/MAV for the diluent stay?

The addition of a Mass Addition Valve is something we are looking at, if there is significant market demand and there is no impact to safety, we surely could do that, maybe as an option

I like the reliability of a plunger style valve over a diaphram design,

The plunger type of valve has many fewer moving and sealing parts than a diaphragm/second-stage

though I gather some people have had problems with plunger hitting the plate inside the bag due twisted/loose bags.

We are looking at that, this is feedback we got at the show and it looks to have a simple fix.

The cowling. Personally I really believe it is not an option, but a must have item to protect the unit, no matter what material is used for production. Even if it's just cosmetic protection.
Will the cowling be stock?

Yes

And will it be available in another color than blue metallic? Yes, TBD
That's just sooo ... John Travolta ... 80s

The cowling is fiberglass and, and personalized by painting and adding decals, etc.

And last but not least, the electronics. Important item!
Liked the Topaz layout for most part. Simplicity was great, the ability to physically shut down the power supply and use the analog gauge to monitor pO2 an advantage not to be underestimated. Automatic setpoint switching perfect for most occasions. Cell tracking a good item. HUD easy to read and well implemented (safe for the mount).

Thanks for the Kudos for Peter. We will not make any changes to the Prism, unless the change is for the better (safer) and has been tested, testing may involve a large beta users testing.

How will the setpoint electronics change?

None at this time, we are only looking at adding wireless transmission of the PPO2 value from the sensors.

How will the displays change, analog secondary, digital secondary, both?

Maybe offer a digital secondary, and CE compliant primary as options

HUD as a primary, or will there be a separate primary display, reading all cells?
And give additional info?

A digital secondary would probably display all 3 oxygen sensors, target set point, and battery status

Will onboard deco be available? The long promised, undiluted RGBM?

We have some tricks up our sleeves, stay tunned!

And of course, since Oceanic has been leading the way with the wireless data mask ...
Will it be available for the PRISM 2?

This will be market driven, is there enough demand to support the development costs?

With cell readout, tank pressure readout?

Probably something like the current (simple) primary, the detail information is on the secondary, incorporated with PPO2/FO2 decom info in mask

That's all the unit specific questions I can think about right now.

But there are a few more of course.

When will the PRISM 2 be available?

We plan to start shipment in April 2008

Where will the PRISM 2 be available?

In the USA first

Just within the US, overseas?

Ultimately, worldwide.

Will it be tested to CE standard for certification and sale in Europe?

Yes

Will it be independently tested at all?

It has been Navy tested, we have a nice hyperbaric lab here, for CE we would test here with an European Notified Body observer.

How much will it cost?

It will be very competitive! We will have pricing posted early 2008

And not about the unit itself, but regarding training.

Excellent! Training is THE MOST IMPORTANT component of the Prism!!

Prism Training will be required for anyone purchasing the Prism 2

Who will be training people? Including current and new instructors.

We will work with all training agencies who will embrace the training concepts that are in place for the Prism Topaz

What about current PRISM Topaz instructors and divers, will they have to go through training again?

An update at the least. Similar to the training a pilot goes through when flying a new airplane.

Will training be available in Europe?

When the unit is for sale there, yes, maybe sooner

Nick, know you're be exhausted from the show and quite busy following it up.
I've been there myself. I rather wait a few days for a response, but would appreciate it very much if you take the time to reply.

Thank you for the excellent list of questions!!

Hollis

Thank you for all the replies, am looking forward to the PRISM 2 developing. :D

Whats the ball park figure for the price?

How does scrubber duration compare to other radial scrubbers such as the oroborous or the cis lunar?

Whats the ball park figure for the price?
That question is impossible to answer at this point, Nick Hollis has said as much above.

How does scrubber duration compare to other radial scrubbers such as the oroborous or the cis lunar?
The PRISM Topaz' 6 lbs radial scrubber has been tested by NAVSEA to 300 minutes to 0,5% CO2 SEV at 60 feet, 4.5 deg C, 1.35 lpm CO2 addition and 40 lpm RMV. As it PRISM Topaz' duration has matched the MK16's when tested for naval use, and beaten both the Inspiration and Cis-Lunar MK-5p when tested for NOAA use it's safe to asume the scrubber architecture will be featured in the HOLLIS PRISM 2.

The Ouroboros 5.9 lbs radial scrubber has been tested to CE standards by an independent body to 0,5% CO2 SEV to 210 min at 40 meters, 4 deg C, 1.6 lpm CO2 addition and 40 lpm RMV. Note that the depth was more than twice as deep, temperature 1/2 deg C less and CO2 addition rate 0,25 lpm higher. All factors that cut the duration down.

Don't remember the MK-5p's duration rating and protocol, would have to dig them out. IIRC, when tested by NAVSEA for NOAA to the same protocol as the Topaz is was somewhere around 4 hours. While the cannister is large the hydrophobic membrane takes up some space, capacity is actually less than either the Topaz or Ouroboros. Not that it really matters with only 30-odd Cis having been sold to private parties and the unit having been out of production for several years.

Any news regarding the PRISM 2? :eyebrow: It's been about two months ...

Also, does Hollis have reps in Europe yet? Will they be represented at the 'boot 2008'?

Any news regarding the PRISM 2? :eyebrow: It's been about two months ...

Also, does Hollis have reps in Europe yet? Will they be represented at the 'boot 2008'?

Hi Stephan,

We have just recently completed our first Prism 2 training program at 40 fathoms grotto in Ocala, FL. In addition, we are currenly attending and participating in the Dan rebreather conference this week.

Unfortunately, we will not be attending the boot show this year. Distribution for the Prism 2 in Europe will however be through Oceanic Germany located in Augsburg. The contact there is Klaus Gasser - k.gasser@gmx.de.

We have come a long way since Dema, but the projected release date for the Prism 2 is now August 08'. More updates soon!

Thanks,

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom