Legend vs ST1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Cid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I bought my current reg used just to be able to get into the water with, and its time for it to be serviced. I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get a new reg set and then service and sell the old one. I've looked around here and haven't seen anyone who has tried the Atomic Aquatics ST1. I'm thinking either the ST1 or the Aqualung Legend. The ST1 got some impressive scores in a recent dive mag, and when the LDS hooked them both up to a tank for me, the ST1 had such an easy cracking pressure that I couldn't believe it. I like that the Legend has a sealed first stage though and that a lot of divers seem to recommend it.

I currently just dive rec, but hope to move towards technical-ish diving. I have noticed that as my last reg got closer to servicing I would run out of air faster since I had to puff harder to get the reg to crack open. All that being said, anyone have recommendations between the Aqualung Legend or the Atomic ST1?

I own 2 Atomics (a M1 and a Z2) so a quick comment about those: What is the price difference between the new ST1 and a Z2? All the Atomic regs are great breathers, if the ST1 is more than a Z2 I'd choose the Z2.

Having said that, these days, it is rare to hear real serious issues with any regs from the major manufacturers.

as far as things go with atomic regs they all breathe about the same ... and as you are thinking about moving into technical diving i would go with the M1 instead of the ST1 ... even though the first stage is stainless it is still rated up to only 40% O2 ... the M1 is rated to 80% out of the box

go for the M1's ... you won't regret it

I'm a big fan of the Legend... I own 3 and plan to get anothe set for doubles. I'm sure the Atomics are good, but didn't think it was worth the extra $$$.

A curiosity with the Atomic. I'm now over 100 dives and breath fairly efficiently and comfortably. I recently switched to the Z2 from a Sherwood Maximus with a significant improvement in reg performance. However, with a rapid deep breath there a high pitched annoying sound on both our B2 and Z2 second stage regs. For me it's a reminder to breath more slowly.

as far as things go with atomic regs they all breathe about the same ... and as you are thinking about moving into technical diving i would go with the M1 instead of the ST1 ... even though the first stage is stainless it is still rated up to only 40% O2 ... the M1 is rated to 80% out of the box

go for the M1's ... you won't regret it

If we are talking about regs for backgas, it matters very little what the O2 percentage is rated to, no?

Putting the M1 on a deco bottle would be a different discussion (I really wonder how many people do that, it's a freaking expensive option).

Don't get me wrong, I like my M1, but it's never going to see mixtures above 32% O2

:D

Never mind the fact that the OP is new to diving and looking for a first reg set. The $$ saved on a Z2 can probably be well spend on other useful gear for the newer diver.

My $0.02

I've been eye-ing the ST1 as well. Haven't heard from many users, other than the magazine reports. My current reg is the B2 and I am very happy with it. I've got over 40 dives with it in SoCal and most recently in Kona. Works well in 55 degree water as well as the chilly 81 degree ocean temps off Kona. :D

I have not tried the Legend, but have many friends that dive it, and nothing but good reviews on it. The big issue with the ST1 is most likely its price. So, a B2 or Z2 might be a better option to look at. I'm still considering the ST1 for next year, though. :wink: Which ever you choose, I believe it will perform well.

Which company will still be here twenty years from now to provide parts.

I have a Titan LX and a Legend with that stupid gold ring swapped for a silver one. Frankly, I bought these for when DMs might freak out over my much better and far more reliable double hose units--however--I like the Titan better than the Legend and it is a simple design that dates back to the double hose Royal Aqua Master. Internally, the first stages are so similar you can install the same parts and it can be serviced anywhere on the planet. I realize that Apeks etc are the darlings of the tech work but sometimes simplicty is a virtue--exactly what can an Apeks or Legend do that a Titan cannot--really--that is important to most divers?

N

I dove an Apex for years. I finally got my first B2 2 years ago and it was night and day. My air consumption rate went down, and the comfort and ease of breathing is nice. Having a 2 year servicing on that reg is nice as well.

The ST1 is impressive, but when faced with buying another regulator, I purchased another B2 instead of the ST1. I would recommend the ST1 but for a newer diver, it is overkill. You would not know the difference between the ST1 and the B2.

If cost is a factor, Z2 is the way to go. It is cheaper than most of the high end regs on the market and a swivel 1st and a swivel 2nd can be added later. The Z2 is amazing performing regulator, yet lower priced than some that do not perform as well.

What is facinating to me is sitting in repair clinics for other brands, they all try to compare themselves to Atomic. That says a lot about the product and quality, IMO. Every pro in my store dives Atomic by choice as well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom