OW in Egypt: which school would you choose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BlueSun

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi everyone!

My sister has asked me to help her decide where in Egypt she should do her OW training and which dive school to choose. I am very excited that she wants to become a diver, but I'm feeling the weighty responsibility of choosing the right training provider. Who, in your opinion, is the very best? I'm particulalry keen to hear from people who did their training in Egypt, but anyone who can recommend a school with a strong focus on safety (she's my little sis after all!), please post away!

I'm looking for:
  • Disciplined safety standards
  • Good hire equipment
  • Great instructors
  • A central location (Sharm?)
If you were going to learn to dive all over again in Egypt, who would you choose?

I'm visiting Egypt myself in 2008 and can't wait!

Thanks for your help,
Caitlin

If it were me, I would go to Dahab or Marsa Alam because the dives are from shore. A group of us went to Marsa Alam a couple of years ago and one of the guys did his Open Water there. Good safe training on a lovely house reef. I can specifically recommend Red Sea Diving Safari's camp at Marsa Shagra. There is, however, not too much to do there aside from diving. That's why I keep going back. But there are so many dive operations in Egypt which get good recommendations, it will be hard to choose. Perhaps the best thing would be for her to decided where she wants to go, then pick a center based upon that.
I find Sharm el Sheik too busy, but I am an old guy who only wants to dive.

Hope this helps,
Phil

I recommend Dahab. It's simple with excellent diving yet still central.

Dahab all the way.

I can recommend these guys :

Club Dahab Diving

I was told while I was there (one time) by an Oz dive instructor the the viz was as good as it gets. Better than he had seen on Oz..

DSCF0146-1.JPG

I enjoyed it very much.

I did the Emergency First Response through the local dive school in Aberdeen (Opening...) who were very good. I got the rescue diver book and dvd and studied them hard before I went out. The knowledge reviews and exam then only took a morning which I did the morning after arriving.

The shore based skills then were done over the afternoon and next day.

I then had two days on the boat doing dives when "something would happen" and I had to respond by joining up the skills I had learned during the shore sessions to suit the scenario.

It was just me and an instructor (Ron) so I was given lots of first class attention.

It was good fun and has definitely increased my skills.

I dive with the wife and daughters and I'd like to think that if anything was to happen that I'm better prepared to help them.

I love this diving lark!

I enjoyed it very much.
It was good fun and has definitely increased my skills.

I dive with the wife and daughters and I'd like to think that if anything was to happen that I'm better prepared to help them.

I love this diving lark!

Good answer - that's the one for me then - thanks for the reply:D

Isn't life great :14: - says he ringing local dive school...

Just called them - now need to get my diary sorted out :D

Thanks for your responses everyone. Sounds like Sharm may not be the way to go, although my sister is younger and a little more tolerant to the party scene than me, so to keep things balanced, can any one recommend schools in Sharm?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom