Nitrox and Octos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CMCO

Reaction score
I have started diving this past year and am currently investing in my first set of equipment. I am also planning on obtaing my Nitrox cert. So my question is a lot of regs are Nitrox rated but I dont see any octos rated for Nitrox, is this even an issue? Can Nitrox be used through any octo? Thanks to everyone in advance for your help.

Craig

It makes no difference, for under 40% you can use any regulator (at least in the U.S.A.).

The 2nd stage is exposed only to the intermediate pressure -- roughly 140psi. O2 cleaning is not an issue at that lower pressure so nitrox is not an issue for 2nd stages and other IP powered devices such as BCD inflators.

You should learn in class that O2 cleaning is required by DOT for Oxygen content over 50%. So, why are they cleaning tanks that will only go to 40%? (good question)...

Actually, there are a number of fill stations that begin a Nitrox fill with O2 being placed in the tank first. This initial fill will be 100% O2 going into your partially filled tank making the mix greater than 50%...

Regulators will not be subject to those %'s because they are used after all of the contents are mixed together bringing the O2 level under 40%...

O2 Cleaned regs are used for O2 staging bottles (for the most part). All any company has to do if they want to say their regs are Nitrox ready is change out the O rings

Nitrox and Octos...

For some reason I couldn't help reading the subject line of this post in Julie Andrews' voice!

Nitrox and octos and whiskers on kittens
Tank valves and S-drills and warm neoprene mittens
Blue H's on webbing, steel back plates with wings
These are a few of my favorite things!

Black colored mask skirts and seven-foot hoses
Dive slates and milk crates and purge-valveless noses
Catch bags with lobsters and pole spears with slings
These are a few of my favorite things!

I wonder if Fraulein Maria was DIR?

sound_music.jpg

RJP...Ya gotta get off that reefer:)

Like was said before I think the 1st stage is far more important than the Octo.

RJP that's fantastic.
I have a new Facebook quote. :wink:

This is why I love this place. Every question answered from the succinct, to the technical, to the um inspired. Thanks for the answers and the music.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom