How to test the real best gear....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Teamcasa

Sr. Moderator
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

After Reading the “Best Gear 2007” thread I was thinking

It would be really interesting to select a cross-section of ScubaBoard members, from each section of the US, Mexico and Canada, with some members from Australia/New Zealand, Europe and Asia to test new gear and report findings.

Different manufacturers would setup dives at selected locations including popular cold water sites, warm water sites and inland water dive sites. The same gear would be put to the test at each location. The divers would then test the gear and report their actual experiences online, directly after each dive.

In the end, all of the divers would complete a live, online poll to determine the “best” in each product category. Maybe then we could get results that mattered.

After Reading the “Best Gear 2007” thread I was thinking

It would be really interesting to select a cross-section of ScubaBoard members, from each section of the US, Mexico and Canada, with some members from Australia/New Zealand, Europe and Asia to test new gear and report findings.

Different manufacturers would setup dives at selected locations including popular cold water sites, warm water sites and inland water dive sites. The same gear would be put to the test at each location. The divers would then test the gear and report their actual experiences online, directly after each dive.

In the end, all of the divers would complete a live, online poll to determine the “best” in each product category. Maybe then we could get results that mattered.

I think this is a great idea, and I will even volunteer my time to test said gear, and be completely honest about what I think of it. A limited load boat trip to Catalina every month or so should do it I think.

I know, I know......It's a lot to give, but that's just how I roll. Always thinking about whats best for everyone else. :eyebrow:

Thing is they will not give you the gear to test because of the fear some--like me--would laugh their, uh, rears, off at it. Especially those horrid weight integrated padded and fru frued BCs. You would have to secure the gear on the open market, test it and then sell it or junk it as suits a lot of the stuff they have in these best of articals. This would allow divers to say what they really think and of course the expenseof it is why it is rarely done despite pretentions to the contrary by some magazines.

N

Many are on this board, let's ask them.

OK, I will bite, dear Spare Air and Scuba Diving magazine, please explain how a Spare Air could be rated as the best gear of 07 (been around for years--not new for 07) when in many circles it is derided as ridiculous or even dangerous and in all cases certainly not the best of anything. N

disregard...

I was going to post a link to Undercurrent's independent testing page, but it seems mostly about defects and recalls..

Well if any of them have the guts, I'll be happy to take it under the ice this winter :D

OK, I will bite, dear Spare Air and Scuba Diving magazine, please explain how a Spare Air could be rated as the best gear of 07 (been around for years--not new for 07) when in many circles it is derided as ridiculous or even dangerous and in all cases certainly not the best of anything. N

Somehow, I knew this was coming up Nemrod :wink: just before I clicked on the thread. :D

Back
Top Bottom