New guy needs help with computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

superego

Reaction score
Hey everyone, and thanks in advance for any advice.

Ok......so I'm looking at computers and I've kind of narrowed it down to something from Aeris or Suunto. My instructor uses a Suunto Vyper, so I've seen it in action and like it. After some searching on this board I also saw a fair ammount of good things about Aeris. So here's the million dollar question: What should I get?:confused:

My two biggest issues are cost and warranty. I'd prefer not to go with AI, and as far as wrist vs. console I think I like the console style better, but I'm always open for change. I want something simple to use, but advanced enough that I can keep it for a while without having to buy something new in a few years. I'm not into nitrox now, but I may be, so I should just get it in case I do. Other features.......not really sure what I want or need. I'll be doing mostly rec diving, cold-water, but would like to get into wreck/tec diving.

The two computers I've looked at the most are the suunto vyper and aeris 300g. I really like the 300g's setup (seems easy to read everything and run the compass at the same time........definite plus:) ) , the spg's warning and the simplicity of it. As far as warranty, who's got the best and what's the best warranty i can get buying online? (going that route to save cash :money: )

Hope this helps and I really appreciate your advice.....this board rocks!

The Aeris 300g is not the latest and greatest from Aeris, the Atmos 2 is their more advanced non-AI computer. Just a point of reference.

Aeris allows mail order sales, so you get a factory warranty with Aeris if the dealer is an authorized dealer. Suunto is sold by Aqualung in the US. To the best of my knowledge, any waranty will be from the retailer only.

Note that Suunto computers are significantly more conservative than Aeris computers. I can't tell you if more conservative is better. Look in Dr. Deco for a thread on NDL times.

superego once bubbled...
I'll be doing mostly rec diving, cold-water, but would like to get into wreck/tec diving.

(going that route to save cash :money: )
I can not only save you a bunch of money... but some brain cells too...

You don't need a computer.... especially not if you are going to get into technical diving.

Get a bottom timer/depth gauge and learn to use tables.

Seriously.

The Aeris 300g is a good easy to use nitrox compatable computer and is easy to read. The aeris computers are considered very liberal but that really isn't a big deal since it is your choice as to whether you dive it to the limit or not, meaning you can dive it as conservatively as you like. The Aeris Atmos 2 is the new computer that Aeris is making but it only has a couple of different features that the 300G doesn't, like water activation. The Aeris 300G can be bought at really good prices right now because of the release of the Atmos 2, and therefore it is a very good buy for someone wanting a dive computer. One more thing, please, whatever you do always stay proficient with tables and never rely solely on any dive computer.

You may want to re-think the console v/s wrist maount. As a new diver myself, I thought I liked the cleaner more stylish look of a console mount computer opposed to wrist mount. I am now seeing the benifit of wrist mount, especially when surfacing. I think it would be easier to dump from the bcd power inflator hose with my left hand and read my computer on my wrist than having to switch to my console and back etc...

-Crispy

Thanks for the help!

After some more research and the chance to try one out, Crispy, I think I do like the wrist mounted idea better. As for the tables, JT2, don't worry. My old instructor, who I now dive with via the scuba club on campus, is the dean, would flunk me out if I let go of my dive table skills! Thanks again!

I use the 300G and like it a lot. It is very easy to use and I have all the informtation I need with a quick glance at it (Air remaining, ascent rate, compass, etc.). I have no problem surfacing since I use my left hand to dump the BC and simply raise my console to my horizontal or .
upward view with my right hand, or I use another dump valve. I use a retractor so when I let go of the 300g it retracts back to a streamlined position.

I've heard that the Aeris' are quite liberal so I don't push it to it limits.

The main drawback to the 300g is that it is NOT water activated. I haven't had a problem so far (knock on wood) since activating it is part of my "checklist", but you never know.

Over all it is great computer with Nitrox capability. Other nice functions are that the backlight works for the SPG as well and there are audible warnings when you drop below 500psi.

My dive shop I bought it at is an authorized dealer so I am not worried about the warranty.

who says you have to have your guages on your left side anyway? If you have an air integrated computer like the suunto cobra, there's really no reason why you can't have it on your right side and that will free up that left hand if its a real concern. Or you can always hold the console with your right hand too... just some ideas

A console on the end of a high presure hose comes in handy if you want to use it as a club or a paddle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom