New discovery of WWII HMS submarine wreck in Libya [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : New discovery of WWII HMS submarine wreck in Libya

Sponsored Link

arebi
November 7th, 2007, 09:25 AM
in memory of those who lost their lives on the HMS P32 Agust 18, 1941

we discover the submarine wreck inTripoli ( April 1999).

the story of our discovery will be coming soon..

Arebi

El Orans
November 7th, 2007, 09:43 AM
Moved to the Wreck Diving forum.

arebi
November 7th, 2007, 12:33 PM
This is a briefly story of our discovery of the Royal Navy WWII submarine wreck HMS in Tripoli-Libya
-----------------------------------------------------

Off shore of Libyan cost and during WWII British submarines patrol our coast hunting for the German and Italian convoy supply ships.
So close to our coast no one had idea for the locations of such wrecks.
One day in April 1999 a friend fisherman loses his net, snag by something on the bottom.
I decided to explore the site , so I planed a deep dive ~ around 70 m with a support diver , for about more than hour sailing ,we started our search, but something wasn't right, there was nothing at the position that was given to us , we tried to extend the search area ,
After a longer search, a mass of red and white pixels appeared on the sounder screen, it looked like a wreck, the search had lasted about one hour until finally we threw a marker buoy over it.
We observed spots of fuel at the surface coming up from the bottom which insured that it’s a wreck.
As we attached the decompression station and spare deco bottles, I started to assemble the cylinders with the right gas mix and checked all the equipment twice.
Then we started descending into the depths, something I have done so many times before, my desire to discover the mystery , water was so clear that suddenly, the first thing that I saw was an open hatch.
It was a submarine, the wreck laid standing on its hull on the bottom little angled to port side, and the bow was totally damaged most likely by an explosion.
Large parts of the bow covered with fishing nets, and angled about 90 degrees to port side.
We examined the bow that was badly blown, swimming toward the stern the forward deck gun still standing covered with marine growth and sponge in front of the conning tower ready for action, looking from bow to stern the wreck was in perfect condition.
As I looked down through the conning tower hatch, I found the ladder still attached to the open hatch.
Over the next few dives we continued the exploration of the stern, the most impressive thing are the two propellers with the rudder.
The engine hatch was open and the ladder is still attached to the hatch as a clear evidence for the attempt to escape.
For 8 years now, myself as team leader tried to learn and work hard with the team to identify the wreck.
We proved that this wreck was Royal Navy HMS U class submarine, but no one knows which one ?
After 9th years we were able to identify the wreck as the Royal Navy HMS P32 U-class submarine.
The submarine left Malta on12 August1941for a patrol area nearTripoli Libya, On the 18 August she spotted a small Italian convoy protected by destroyers and torpedo boats heading towards the port.
The submarine rose to periscope depth to made proper position to attack. A mine, part of the minefield, exploded against her port side and flooded the forward portion of the boat forward of the control room, killing the 8 crew members in that part of the boat.
The submarine sank to the seabed. Most of the 24 survivors retired to the engine room to attempt an escape.
Coxswain Abdy, Petty Officer Kirk and ERA Martin attempted to escape using the conning tower. Martin was killed in the attempt but the other two crew survived and were picked up by an Italian ship. No other crew members survived.
Due to the belief that the escape hatch was a weak point during heavy depth charging it was fairly standard for an iron bar to be welded over the escape hatches of HM submarines on active duty.

As we found the engine hatch open and the ladder attached,
So the theory of welded iron bar over the hatch during duty needs further investigation with the official historic version.

Arebi

GreenDiverDown
November 7th, 2007, 01:38 PM
Very nice! Tell us more...

jeckyll
November 7th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Great stuff!

What lead you to finally be able to positively identify the sub?

shoredivr
November 7th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Great find! Patience paid off!

Don Wray
November 7th, 2007, 03:17 PM
Very envious

conridge
November 9th, 2007, 06:29 PM
This is a briefly story of our discovery of the Royal Navy WWII submarine wreck HMS in Tripoli-Libya
-----------------------------------------------------

Off shore of Libyan cost and during WWII British submarines patrol our coast hunting for the German and Italian convoy supply ships.
So close to our coast no one had idea for the locations of such wrecks.
One day in April 1999 a friend fisherman loses his net, snag by something on the bottom.
I decided to explore the site , so I planed a deep dive ~ around 70 m with a support diver , for about more than hour sailing ,we started our search, but something wasn't right, there was nothing at the position that was given to us , we tried to extend the search area ,
After a longer search, a mass of red and white pixels appeared on the sounder screen, it looked like a wreck, the search had lasted about one hour until finally we threw a marker buoy over it.
We observed spots of fuel at the surface coming up from the bottom which insured that it’s a wreck.
As we attached the decompression station and spare deco bottles, I started to assemble the cylinders with the right gas mix and checked all the equipment twice.
Then we started descending into the depths, something I have done so many times before, my desire to discover the mystery , water was so clear that suddenly, the first thing that I saw was an open hatch.
It was a submarine, the wreck laid standing on its hull on the bottom little angled to port side, and the bow was totally damaged most likely by an explosion.
Large parts of the bow covered with fishing nets, and angled about 90 degrees to port side.
We examined the bow that was badly blown, swimming toward the stern the forward deck gun still standing covered with marine growth and sponge in front of the conning tower ready for action, looking from bow to stern the wreck was in perfect condition.
As I looked down through the conning tower hatch, I found the ladder still attached to the open hatch.
Over the next few dives we continued the exploration of the stern, the most impressive thing are the two propellers with the rudder.
The engine hatch was open and the ladder is still attached to the hatch as a clear evidence for the attempt to escape.
For 8 years now, myself as team leader tried to learn and work hard with the team to identify the wreck.
We proved that this wreck was Royal Navy HMS U class submarine, but no one knows which one ?
After 9th years we were able to identify the wreck as the Royal Navy HMS P32 U-class submarine.
The submarine left Malta on12 August1941for a patrol area nearTripoli Libya, On the 18 August she spotted a small Italian convoy protected by destroyers and torpedo boats heading towards the port.
The submarine rose to periscope depth to made proper position to attack. A mine, part of the minefield, exploded against her port side and flooded the forward portion of the boat forward of the control room, killing the 8 crew members in that part of the boat.
The submarine sank to the seabed. Most of the 24 survivors retired to the engine room to attempt an escape.
Coxswain Abdy, Petty Officer Kirk and ERA Martin attempted to escape using the conning tower. Martin was killed in the attempt but the other two crew survived and were picked up by an Italian ship. No other crew members survived.
Due to the belief that the escape hatch was a weak point during heavy depth charging it was fairly standard for an iron bar to be welded over the escape hatches of HM submarines on active duty.

As we found the engine hatch open and the ladder attached,
So the theory of welded iron bar over the hatch during duty needs further investigation with the official historic version.

Arebi

I was very touched to read your story on this website. My father was W H Martin the submarine ERA who was lost after escaping from the conning tower of the P32. We have done some research on this for our family but never expected to see photographs of the conning tower hatch that he struggled so hard to open in his determination to escape. My mother told me that he was never a good swimmer and to reach the surface from the seabed was just too much. I was a small child at the time and so have no memory of him but my mother remained in love with him all her life until her death 10 years ago.
Thankyou Abedi for doing this research after all this time and showing us where a much loved man spent his last moments trying to get back to his beloved family.
This is always a very poignant time for us with Remembrance Sunday being this weekend and just a month away from his birthday - when he would have been 99.
I had information that people had been diving in this area from the Submarine Museum, and then contacted a local diving school to find out more.
Thank you again and may the submariners who did not escape from the ship rest in peace.
Pamela

conridge
November 9th, 2007, 06:34 PM
I hope I have answered this correctly. I have never used this technology before, but wanted to respond.

Teamcasa
November 9th, 2007, 06:57 PM
Pamela, You did fine!

Arebi, Amazing find and thank you for giving the site the respect it and the men that perished deserve.

arebi
November 10th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Dear Pamela

today is the Remembrance sunday for all whos lost their lives in the war,My condolences for the loss of your father.
You can’t imagine what it meant to read your reply.
I would be very happy to share any information that might be of help.
For the sensitivity of the issue you may use my E-mail.
By any chance do you mind posting a photo of your father or crew if available.

Thanks
Arebi

conridge
November 17th, 2007, 04:08 PM
Thank you for your condolences Arebi. I should imagine your surprise at receiving my message was great. Also I cannot put into words my feelings that the P32 submarine had been found, great sadness but also pleasure that his memory is still alive in others minds - I never imagined that this would have been possible, and the photographs were incredibly clear.
I will be happy to send you a photo of William Martin but have none of the other crew members. I will look out a picture and work out how to add it to this message. I am not very experienced with working with computers so will get advice from one of our sons.
Best wishes, Pamela

arebi
November 29th, 2007, 04:35 AM
thanks for sending me your historical family photos

arebi

arebi
December 25th, 2007, 02:39 AM
I wish you all very merry christmas and happy new year :rock_band

Arebi

arebi
April 11th, 2008, 04:11 PM
On our last survey dives on the wreck we discover a lunched torpedo at Starboard side, ready to fire.
The submarine was planning to attack the Axis convoy before it hit a mine on port side.:14:

arebi
May 29th, 2008, 03:38 AM
A surprise at receiving a new massage from relative of L/ Sto H Edwards how’s lost his life in the submarine P32…
------------------------------

Hello Arebi,

On behalf of the family of L/Sto Harold Edwards serving on the P32 - We are writing with great thanks for your hard work and dedication, in finding the final resting place of the Submarine. We were impressed with the photographs and the information you have provided.
Sadly my Grandfather left a loving wife and a young family of 3 Girls behind - we hold great fondness/pride in our hearts for him.

We would like to send our condolence to all those family’s who lost their loved ones at that sad time.

If anyone has any other information - we are providing details of our Grandfather and of the Submarine to a local museum in Cornwall - Davidstowe Airfield (opening on June 14th 08) - we would be happy to hear from you.
Please e-mail us.

Thank you once again Arebi
Vanessa Donoghue - L/Sto H Edwards Grand Daughter

arebi
June 19th, 2008, 04:57 AM
Dear All
This is a copy of onther massage that I have received this morning, such a small world by the new tech of communications !!

Dear Arebi

I was most interested to find your news this morning concerning your discovery of the wreck of P32. I congratulate you.

My mother's brother was Sub-Lieutenant M F Millar, a junior officer on the submarine P32.

I would be grateful if you would kindly keep me informed as to any further information which you obtain from the wreck site.

Also, if you can, please let me have contact details for Pamela, the daughter of W H Martin, who wrote to you. I would like to contact her.

best wishes
Michael Varvill

thanks....Arebi :callme:

CheddarChick
June 19th, 2008, 06:18 AM
How wonderful...

arebi
July 27th, 2008, 11:57 AM
Family reacted to our discovery of the HMS P32 submarine in Libya

Dear Arebi,

Thank you so much for finding the resting place of my beloved uncle P.O. Wallace Charles Barrow who was in charge of the torpedoes on board the submarine.
His mother and sister, my mother, are no longer alive but I thank you on behalf of all my family for the respectful way you have reported this find.
To actually have a resting place even after so many years is a great comfort, and who knows, perhaps we may even be able to visit and pay our respects one day.

Thank you again.

Janet Milarski Niece

ohmdiver
July 27th, 2008, 12:12 PM
Just outstanding! I am always blown away when history becomes personal. While I can claim no connection to the sub, I am deeply moved by what you have found and the response of the relative of the survivors.

Great job!

D_B
July 27th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Ditto
Thank you

Judy Barrow
September 3rd, 2008, 04:10 PM
Dear Arebi,
Thanks for finding the previously unknown resting place of my dear uncle, Wallace Barrow. One day I hope to visit the area with my family to pay my respects.
With grateful thanks
Judy Barrow

arebi
January 19th, 2009, 09:20 AM
More families reacted to our discovery of the HMS P32 submarine in Libya:

Arebi,

I was very interested to hear of your discovery of the wreck of the p32 submarine.

My uncle, James Winter, lost his life in this incident. You have worked so hard to discover the identity of the wreck. My mother, who is James's sister is in ill health at the moment and until recently has never had any facts about the death of her brother.

Your discovery has brought a sense of closure and comfort to my mother, myself and the rest of the family.

My uncle was only 21 years old when he lost his life.

Thank you for all your hard work and taking such an interest, it has made a difference to us.

Regards
Sue Thorpe
(Liverpool, England)

arebi
March 8th, 2009, 04:38 AM
Arebi diving team investigated the conning tower of the Royal navy HMS submarine P32 sunk off Tripoli Libya on 18 august 1941.

Another shot as we can see a direct view looking down on the conning tower.

Arebi

NJMike
March 8th, 2009, 09:14 AM
Arebi, thank you so much for sharing what I hope is just a prelude to a wonderful story. For those like me who love submarine books, stories and movies, this sounds like a great adventure.

For the families who have had the nightmares of war resurrected, I can only imagine that the news is bittersweet. To those families I send my deepest condolences, and to their men of HMS P32 I hold the greatest respect...and send heartfelt thanks for the ultimate sacrifice that they made.

I sincerely hope, Arebi, that you have kept records of your long and persevering search. I hope that you will consider putting it all together as a book. I'm sure that many of the families would consider this as a final tribute to the memories of their lost ones, and that the museum would include it in their exhibition. For the rest of us, it would provide a chance to relive the last days of an heroic crew who fought and died to preserve what we have today.

arebi
March 9th, 2009, 06:19 AM
Hi Mike

Thanks for your post, I am looking to get ww2 submarine books to help us as reference, I will appreciate to advice me for some related books.

Arebi

arebi
March 9th, 2009, 06:24 AM
Thanks for your post, I am looking to get ww2 submarine books to help us as reference, I will appreciate to advice me for some related books.

Arebi[/QUOTE]

NJMike
March 9th, 2009, 07:47 AM
I am sure that writing the book will not be an easy task, if done properly. I am not an historian so cannot help with the recommendation of any books of an historical nature.

However, here are some of my initial thoughts:

1. Define the purpose of writing the book. Is it purely for history? Is it for profit? Is it both?
2. Define the audience that you are writing the book for. Is it only for the families? Is it for scuba divers? Defining the audience will determine how the book is written. If it is only for history, then the book will be filled with facts and pictures. If it's for divers and the families, then a story, based on the facts, can be woven in.
3. You should have no problems finding research info. If the sub was sunk by the Italians, then they most likely have some historical information somewhere that will help develop the story. The research, in this case, is not about submarines in particular but about the naval war.
4. If you haven't already read "Shadow Divers", which is an account of the discovery of U-869 off the coast of New Jersey here in the U.S., you should. The book is very interesting and may give you some ideas.
5. Give thought to having a professional writer actually write the book.

I wish I could be of more help immediately. I'm sure if you ask here on Scubaboard for advice, you will find someone who can help even more.

arebi
August 4th, 2009, 05:44 PM
On our last recent expedition to the Royal navy HMS P32 submarine wreck in Tripoli - Libya

The loss of the HMS P32 caused a sensation when it was reported hitting mine off Tripoli – Libya on August 18, 1941 after sailing from Malta.
in which 30 submariners lost their lives in a disaster explosion that remains shrouded in mystery.

Aware that the site remains the last resting-place of the crew, our team of 4 divers, led by Mohamed Arebi, took nothing from the site other than video footage. The video has been investigated to solve the mystery behind the cause of the explosion accident since 18 august 1941.

Diving to such great depths requires the use of special gas mixtures and is fraught with complexities. We are the only Libyan diving team qualified and able to employ this technology.

Arebi diving team work hard and make extensive history research on the U-class British submarine, a remarkable discovery when several parts of the P32 submarine s bow (port side) shows the hull steel were twisted toward outside as an evidences that the explosion appear to come from inside the submarine.

As well reference to the Lieutenant Commander( one of the two survivors) Abdy s report of March 1943, in which he sets out the circumstances of the loss.
Saying: I have the impression that the explosion appeared to come from inside the submarine but I have no proof at all.

Thanks

Arebi

300bar
August 4th, 2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks for the update.:thumbs_up:

Judy Barrow
August 10th, 2009, 05:01 AM
Thanks for the latest message, Arebi.

The thought of my uncle Wallace (Wally) Barrow being in that situation is upsetting, but thank you so much for finding his last resting place, and treating the relatives like myself and my sisters with such respect.

I do hope one day to be able to visit the site and pay my own respects to Wally. Until your discovery, we did not know the circumstances of his death or the whereabouts of his submarine.

Thanking you again,

Judy Barrow

arebi
August 17th, 2010, 11:23 PM
69 Years ago.

Today marks the 69 anniversary of the lost of the British Royal Navy HMS
Submarine P32. August 18 1941.
A day of remembrance for all who lost their lives on the P32 doing their duty.
our condolences to all the families.

Reg. Arebi

Welshgirl50
October 18th, 2010, 10:44 AM
in memory of those who lost their lives on the HMS P32 Agust 18, 1941

we discover the submarine wreck inTripoli ( April 1999).

the story of our discovery will be coming soon..

Arebi
Hi, I contacted you a couple of months ago about whether you have come across The wreck of HMS Sikh ( mentioned above) which went down off Tobruk 14 September 1942. I have some coordinates given me by someone on this forum, but no depth. They are apparently 32 degrees 05'N, 24degrees 00'E . I am trying to work out where they are. Is this an areanyou know?

Didje
August 18th, 2011, 09:36 PM
69 Years ago.

Today marks the 69 anniversary of the lost of the British Royal Navy HMS
Submarine P32. August 18 1941.
A day of remembrance for all who lost their lives on the P32 doing their duty.
our condolences to all the families.

Reg. Arebi

Life is weird sometimes - I ended up on this thread on August 18th, 2011. Great story altogether, thanks for sharing.

AfterDark
August 19th, 2011, 05:17 AM
Arebi, This thread has blown me away! The range of emotions it evoked actually made me tired. You are a very lucky diver. In one dive you found an undiscovered wreck and provided closure for many people. Job well done to you and your team!

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1