What causes the demise of regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whathedeuce

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Why, if you get your regs serviced yearly, do they need to be replaced after x amount of years? I bought some used regs, used no more than a dozen times. I took them to be serviced, and when i went to pick them up the owner said that they were about 7 years old. He said that they were good but that you didn't want to push them too far. Why? Does the piston break or something? Also, even though they are 7 years old, do you look at that or the fact that they were only used maybe 12 times? The regs are Genesis Yukon and Genesis safe second. Thanks for any input. let me know if i need to clarify...

Probably because he wants you to buy some new stuff, I have regs that are over 20 years old with thousands of dives that are fine. You will probably get replies from others who still use 40 year old regs

The lifespan of most regulators is limited only by the availability of replacement parts. As long as they can be serviced there is no need at all to think that they will wear out with time.

Newer regs *tend* to breathe easier than older ones so a lot of people eventuall replace their stuff but if you're happy with your regs then stick to them. The shop you took your gear to just wants to sell you stuff. Ignore them.

R..

Corrosion at the seal operating lines and lack of suitable repair parts kills regs.
The first you have some control over through cleaning and regular "between repair" maintenance and storage techniques.

The second you are at the whim of the manufacturer &/or shop tech.

If the maufacturer goes **** up or discontinues the line you loose a direct link to the parts pipeline.

Howver MOST regs are made by third party manufacturers who use the same or similar design parts in other lines. With a bit of searching and a good shop tech who knows the innards of several "related" lines even a discontinued brand or line won't mandate a lack of parts.

OTOH the repair shop's lawyers may not be able to figure out that a N0674-2-010 O-ring purchased from one of the three major O-ring manufacturers worldwide by USD is the same as a N0674-2-010 O-ring purchased by ScubaPro from the same manufacturer and prevent it's use in a competing line's reg for "liability insurance" reasons.

If told you have an "orphan" reg by a one or two brand line shop it's time to go to a specialty repair shop that works on many brands for a second opinion, or learn to fix them yourself.

FT

Probably because he wants you to buy some new stuff, I have regs that are over 20 years old with thousands of dives that are fine. You will probably get replies from others who still use 40 year old regs

I have one from 1972 that saw a lot of time under water too. I eventually stopped diving with it because it was short on LP ports but mechanically it's still works like the day they made it.

R..

I still use the first new reg I ever bought, a Scubapro Mk 3 I bought in 1985, on a deco bottle.

I also have a 1956 DA Aquamsater that has been restored to better than new condition that saw use on about 50 recreational dives last summer.

In terms of performance, there has nt been any significant improvement in second stage design in the last 20-25 years and first stage design has bene flat with regard to piston first stages but there has been some improvement in diaphragm first stage performance and in the move to ward dry sealed first stages.

The fact that regulators are basically the ultimate in durable goods and that a good high quality reg will last longer than the average diver, as long as it is properly maintained and serviced, poses a big problem for both scuba companies and dealers who want to make more regs than there are new divers. So..the result is pressure on dealers to sell more regs and a tendency for scuba companies and dealers to try to sell divers on the need to replace perfectly good regulators.

DA Aquamaster says it all in my opinion.

Accidents, lack of user care (annual service is excessive in most cases), withdrawal of support by the mfgr, and lying LDS salepeople.

Corrosion can make the chrome peel of the marine brass. Once that happens in important places, it's all over. If you see green oxidation, it's a sign that that proses has already started.

Back
Top Bottom