Mares regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

smartalec_87

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
i am looking at buying my first reg and i think i want to get a mares. i like the all metal durability and i hear they are very constant in the intremideate pressure and are easy to use. anywhay i was looking at the proton 32 metal and the proton 42 metal. maybe even the ice extreme. i do most of my diving in monterey and will most likley use this regulator on trips as well. i am also probablu going to do the dm so i will be diving a lot. i know the 42 is smaller but is that better? i am not worried about price either cuse i want somthing that will last. i will probably get the proton metal octo as well. any suggestions and what are everyones thought on the different protons? thanks

If you're not going to be ice diving (or diving really cold temps), I'd go with the regular V32 or V42! Why pay the extra $$ for the cold adaptation you won't need? (unless you plan on diving trips to Canada in the winter??:dork2::D:D).

Now as to the V32 or V42? sorry, I can't help not having tried them before. All I have is a V16 proton (which I love). I believe the V42 has slightly less bresthing effort, but the difference is slight. It's also supposed to be lighter. But they are both very nice regs and I'd love to get my hands on one...:shakehead:

Hopefully, some people with actual dive time on the V32 and V42 will chime in...

Hope this helps a bit!:coffee:

Smartalec,

Thanks for your interest in Mares regulators. Honestly, you really can't go wrong with either. Both come with the all metal Proton 2nd stage. They are exactly the same. The difference between the two regs is the 1st stage. The 42 is quite a bit smaller and lighter. This is a bonus when travelling. The 42 also breathes a little better, but the 32 is great breathing as well. So at the end of the day, it is a little more expensive for the light weight and slight enhanced performance. They both will last longer than you can wait before you'll want to buy a new set up. Anyhow, I hope this helps. Should you have any other questions please feel free to post or drop a private message.

Best regards,

Personally own the V16/Proton Metal and couldn't be anymore happier. The all metal second stage is a big bonus. Reason, you don't get dry mouth as you would with another brand and plus they look cool. Balanced diaphram on the first stage w/enviromental kit is sweet. Nothing getting into the first stage.

Metal collects moisture which will prevent dry mouth. This does sound like a "sales pitch" but having been diving with the Proton V42 I know this to be true. I love my Proton V42. The breathing on this reg is clean, crisp and extremely easy to breathe on. The breathing is effortless. As far as the rest of the Mares metal collection, I have heard great things from our customers. So which ever model you choose you are getting a great regulator. Check out our website for pricing and product information. Click here to travel to our website: Scuba Gear |Scuba Equipment Discount | Snorkel | Dive Equipment | Buy Scuba Diving Equipment | Divers Direct

I dive a V32 1st stage with an Abyss 2nd (I like the bigger reg in order to push the bubbles away from my face/camera). It came with a Proton Ice 2nd originally, which is now my bungeed octo. It is a great breather and I have had no problems with it.

My wife dives a V32 with a plastic Proton XL and complains that she sometimes gets "dry mouth". I let her dive with my Proton Ice 2nd and she said the "dry mouth" disappeared but she likes the smaller size of the Proton. So she is getting a Proton Metal 2nd for Christmas.

Plus you can't beat the service (had a computer problem) and information you get from Mares - Zak and Phil are always willing to answer questions and solve problems.

I have been servicing and diving with Mares regs for a long time. In fact, I have three different MR12 III models from more than a few years ago. My new favorite is the V42 Metal Proton that I purchased about a month ago. It offers great performance, and the first stage's size is nothing short of amazing. I also really like that all of the LP ports are 3/8" size, as I use a long hose/bungeed back-up system of hose layout. It allows me to use standard LP hoses for my 7' and 22" mounted second stages.

Mares makes excellent regulators that are fairly priced. I use them for all of my dives from cave to recreation.

Greg Barlow
Former Science Editor for Rodale's Scuba Diving Magazine

32 or 42, I know that you'll be well served by either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom