Nikon Coolpix 5100 vs. Canon G9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bkpix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I am looking to get out of the film camera with housing I have been using for six years, and get into a good p&s digital. I plan on getting the Ikelight housing for either camera, and also Ikelight strobe.

The Canon seems to have more features although a bit more expensive. If you get what you pay for that is fine; but do you?

Both cameras offer ttl, and neither has a very wide angle lens without getting the adapter. The RAW factor makes sense for the Canon as does the longer lens.

I have not seen many reviews of the new Nikon, anyone out there have some ideas on this topic?

Thanks, BKPIX

Well, my first expensive digital camera was a Nikon (Coolpix 5700). My current (recent) purchase is a Canon A570IS.

I will never purchase Nikon again. The camera was just fine, until the flash died after 6 months. The warranty service in Canada was the worst I've ever experienced. The camera spent 3 months at the Nikon service center, then got lost for a couple of weeks before getting shipped to the wrong part of Canada. When I finally got it back, the flash worked but the pop-up was now broken. Calls to the warranty depot for Nikon were exercises in frustration.

By contrast, problems with Canon cameras and Sony videocameras have always been handled promptly with great results.

The G9 is the top end of Canon's digital camera (not SLR) line, and is pretty sweet. But it is pricey, so you do have to ask yourself if you really need the extra pixels (12.1 for the G9) vs. 7.1 for the A570 and the RAW mode? It's a lot extra to pay. The Ikelite housing is also double the cost.

Cheers,

-S

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom