Gilboa Quarry any divers January 18 or 19?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dgreatlakesdivr
Didn't make it today, but will let you know when I get back from there tomorrow.

Best Regards
Don

We cancelled our trip due to bad roads and looooooow temps. I wish we could have been there but it would have been a really bad time to go since we are getting more snow now and the roads went from not good to pretty bad again.

dcostanza,

If you go have a great trip and be careful with those low temps.

Chad

Good evening,
I am plagerizing this dive report from "Scooter" from another board as he did a nice job describing the diving today at Gilboa. Plus I'm just going to be lazy on re-typing everything. For those that were slated to go yesterday, the far side is starting to ice up. (From the "deep end" far side is the furthest west portion of the quarry) Should the wind die down and if the current conditions continue, mutual opinion has it that Gilboa will be iced over in a week. We only got in the one dive as the last few minutes of our dive both Scooter and I were starting to experience some rather ouchy finger tips.

CWB,Had a great time time today with Scooter,(sorry you couldn't join us for the balmy temps.)

Scooter, if you read this, I had a great time diving with you today, thanks! I'll email you tomorrow.

Dive Time: 45min
Max Depth: 60f
Water Temp: 36-38F
Air Temp: 11-15F
Dcostanza and I enjoyed a nice dive today. We detached our equipment before it froze. We walked carefully with our doubles on. Dcostanza even remembered that special piece for his drysuit. We entered at the deep end of Gilboa and slowly moved over and into the “junkyard”.

I practiced deploying my stage bottle once, this was my first time carrying a stage bottle (80cf Aluminum). I used rather large bolt snaps for ease of use with dry gloves on. However to my dismay, when I was getting out, I found that I had clipped my spg on the large ring of the bolt snap. Other than that, doffing and donning the stage was rather easy. I noticed that as I moved through the water the bottle occasionally would bang into me startling me into thinking another diver ran into me!

After leaving the stage on a wreck for safe keeping we tooled around. I looked up and noticed that we were under ice. That felt a little eerie we moved back and retrieved the stage and made our way back. A good dive, but we were a little chilly when we got out!

Sorry about the image, I forgot to crop the whitespace!

This picture was taken by "Scooter"

Best Regards
Don
Oopps, I thought the picture was attached. Guess I need some work on how to attach pictures to the posts. Sorry

I am glad to hear you had a good time. Again I really wish we could have made it but we will get there soon.

Chad

dcostanza once bubbled...
CWB,Had a great time time today with Scooter,(sorry you couldn't join us for the balmy temps.)
Best Regards
Don

Glad you had a good time today! Those temps are a bit frigid, but it sounds like you got past any gear issues.

Solo went well today, so I'm glad I stayed out of the weather.

Was today your last day in the water until after your trip, or might you be able to squeeze in a weekend or two yet?

later, wb

CWB,
Glad to hear the solo went well for you, we were thinking of you.

I leave for Vegas next Monday and am debating on whether I should take my daughters snowboarding or not. I'm leaning that way as I'm going to be gone for quite a while so I mentioned to Mike that I will see him in March.

Since I won't be able to dive with you and Scooter until you get back from your adventure down in Florida and I back from my travels, I wish you and Scooter safe travels...and diving. Can't wait to hear the stories you two (three, including Kelly) will bring back).

Best Regards
Don

dcostanza once bubbled...
CWB,
I leave for Vegas next Monday and am debating on whether I should take my daughters snowboarding or not. I'm leaning that way as I'm going to be gone for quite a while so I mentioned to Mike that I will see him in March.
Best Regards
Don

Have a safe trip and we'll test the waters and tell lies....errr... stories about our adventures when we get back.

later, wb

The Indy KPP division, ha, ha, ha, did not make it either. I think I was the first one to back out ;-0 but the trip in the end was a fall through. From what everyone said here, the weather was not very :sunnyday: and the temps were quite :cold: . Looking forward to setting up another attempt and following through with that meeting to do some fun diving with a bunch of new friends..:yea:

Jeff "Great lakes diver"

Back
Top Bottom