Titan Vs. Calypso Regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Does anyone know why the caylpso ( piston 1st stage) is en250 coldwater <50F certified and
the Titan( balanced diaphram 1 st stage ) is not?
this info comes from Aqualungs online catalog. neither have environmental seals "out of the box "and it doesn't look like the regs have heat sinks.

the reason i ask is because the Titan is priced higher than Caylpso,
and i just bought the Titan!

Thanks

The Calypso is a lower performance "flow By" piston reg and as such has less gas flow and less adibatic cooling so it has less need for heat trsansfer in very cold water and is consequently less likely to freeze flow in very cold water.

That said, all things being equal the Titan will do fine under normal cold water conditions. Where things may differ is if you let the second stage fall out of your mouth and freeflow where the sudden high gas flow can create enough cooling to trigger a freezeflow.

I do not have a high opinion of EN 250 testing (or for that matter many EN tests). In regard to scuba regulators it normally results in the reg being detuned to meet a meaningless standard that more often than not was developed to favor an area of performance where an EU member reg does well. The system often has the effect of rewarding a generally poor performing reg in cases like this where the low performance appears as a "strenght" on a mostly meaningless test.

In my opinion this is much like how the original Aresti aerobatic scoring system mirrored the abilities of the Bucher Jungmeister aerobatic airplane to the disadvantage of other aerobatic aircraft. It was horse puckey but it took 20 years to undo the damage.

I think there is a coldwater version of the Titan. I just got a Titan LX and love it--other than the fact the second is cheap plastic but then so are all of the other much more expensive regulators that breath and perform no better. The Titan is a proven first stage that goes back to the 60, can be serviced everywhere--simple, rugged, high perfomrance and super reliable.

Hey, Aqua Lung, howabout a Titan-anium? Make the seconds out of titanium---just an idea--I don't charge for them.

N

The Titan LX Supreme would be the cold water version. The only thing it has more than the Titan or Titan LX is a enviromental seat on the first stage and a lip shield on the second stage. That's it. Other than that great breathing regulators.

i have the titan and it sucks. i had it only ofr a year and it its already freeflowing with a little bang. i take good care of it and it is adjusted to minimal air. not impressed with preformance. looks cool but no good. i am going for the kronos

Did you buy it brand new or used? If you bought it brand new and registered it for warranty, your LDS or Aqualung should be able to help you with your problem with no charge. Also, you do know they have a dive/pre-dive or venturi (however you want to call it) lever on the left side. Did you turn it to the minus side instead of the plus side? That could also be your problem. The minus would restrict the freeflow towards, the plus it freeflow like a raped ape.
i have the titan and it sucks. i had it only ofr a year and it its already freeflowing with a little bang. i take good care of it and it is adjusted to minimal air. not impressed with preformance. looks cool but no good. i am going for the kronos

I will give you 25 bucks for it :D. Afterall it is broken.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom