How to buy a reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SeaHound

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I want to buy a reg + octo combo. What are the things I should be looking for? At consumer level whats the diff between piston and disphram reg? Balanced and non balanced? Why do we need a diff reg for cold water diving?

Most of my dives will be in warm tropic waters but if I could get something that can perform well in a number of dive conditions, Id be happier.

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks

Good luck! Try a search on this forum for "1st reg" or some phrases like that, you'll get a million threads. Likewise for "piston vs diaphragm" and "balanced vs unbalanced". Everyone's got an opinion about regs; the one actual bit of truth is that there are very few regs made and sold by reputable companies that will be unsatisfactory for recreational diving. So, basically the answer, "get what you want, they'll all work!"

Now watch as everyone tells you to get the reg they dive. I've been guilty of it myself.

This is a well bashed out topic. A search will reveal numerous responses but let me sum it up for you.
Most people like what they have or desire a new one.

Most of the name brand regs are all top notch and work very well. There will always be the snobs about their own brand but in reality, they are all pretty darn good. Mixing and matching brands is frowned upon but done all the time. I’ll tell you my setup is Scubapro first and secondary with an Oceanic secondary (octo). All hoses have been changed and it works really good for me.

DIN or Yoke will also bring up a few dozen responses but I found that DIN works good for me but yoke is more popular by far.

Check your local dive shop first, if they won't deal, shop on-line. All the nonsense about warranties is just that, nonsense. Scuba.com scubatoys.com leisurepro all sell decent stuff and the servcie is good.
Some will have a individual bad experience, but on the whole they are all fine.

I want to buy a reg + octo combo. What are the things I should be looking for? At consumer level whats the diff between piston and disphram reg? Balanced and non balanced? Why do we need a diff reg for cold water diving?

Most of my dives will be in warm tropic waters but if I could get something that can perform well in a number of dive conditions, Id be happier.

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks

Go to divetheabyss.com and get an Apeks DS4/XTX50 and never have to worry about it again.. Now wasnt that easy? :D

The only advice I'd give you in picking a reg is unless you want a possible PITA or to have to learn to DIY when it comes time to get it serviced, make sure there is a service tech nearby for your brand.

I dive almost exclusively Beuchat regs (I'm one of those wierdos that has a few setups), great regs, but finding people to work on them can be interesting where I am.

Other than that, I've got nothing. :D

I agree with the service aspect. Find an LDS that you trust to service your regs and find out what they specialize in. You might want to take into consideration the cost of service wether you purchase you reg from them or somewhere else. Just my opinion.

Thoughts? Ideas? Thanks

Everyone will tell you they like the reg they have. What this says is that you will be like everyone else and like whatever you get, no matter what you get.

All regs breath well in shallow water. Most all breath well to the rec. limit at 130 feet. Now if you plan to get into tec diving then you can worry which is good at 250 feet. If you get one that has a balanced 1st and 2nd it really will breat well. All regs with these fetures do. My Apex really s better then the Titan I used to use but both worked.

One thing to consider is service. Don't buy one you can not get serviced locally

One thing to consider is service. Don't buy one you can not get serviced locally

Unless you have a mailbox, in which case any of these reputable service options are available (in no particular order):

AirTech Scuba Services: Professional Scuba Repair Services; Raleigh, NC
Regulator Repair
Regulator Service : Tech Diving Limited - Home of Nautilus Dive Planner
Welcome To ScubaRepairExpress.com - Your one-stop scuba repair shop - Home of the Scuba Wizard.
Dive Equipment Service

Rich

That's very true, and I've mailed my stuff off before. But man is it so much easier (and therefore more likely to happen when it should) when you've got a local guy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom