Weightbelt Interferes With BP/W Setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dkatchalov

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi all

I have just setup up my dive rite deluxe harness + rec wing. I find that the weight belt I have goes in roughly the same position as the waist band of the harness - is there any solution to this or am I doing something wrong? I find myself having to push the waist strap up to fit the belt on or to put the belt on uncomfortably lower where it may fall off in the water?

Any suggestions? I prefer to have all my weight on the belt rather than pockets, etc on the BC.

Thanks.

This happens with some folks. My BP waist belt sits very close to the natural placement of the weight belt. Personally I wouldn't consider this a DiveRite issue per se, it's kind of generic to the BP system at times.

I just put the weight belt on first, then get into my harness. <shrugs> No big deal.

All the best, James

I use the DUI weight harness with my Dive Rite BP/W, and it sits just below my waist strap. The harness is also nice because it takes the weight off my lower back.

Hi all

I have just setup up my dive rite deluxe harness + rec wing. I find that the weight belt I have goes in roughly the same position as the waist band of the harness - is there any solution to this or am I doing something wrong? I find myself having to push the waist strap up to fit the belt on or to put the belt on uncomfortably lower where it may fall off in the water?

Any suggestions? I prefer to have all my weight on the belt rather than pockets, etc on the BC.

Thanks.

I agree with fdog. Interference with a weight belt is possible with a backplate and wing.

Here's a couple things you can try;

Check if your plate is correctly positioned, often new users will have their plate too low, shoulder straps too long.

Try moving the actual weights on your belt around a bit, i.e. for or aft on the belt. You may find a position where there is less interference.

Make sure you do a weight check. If you are new to a BP&W you may well be surprised at how much lead you can drop, often a considerable bit more than the weight of the BP. Why? Because your jacket BC was likely positive by 2-4 lbs.

With 10 or more lbs "missing" from your belt you will likely find a way to locate the rest where it's not a problem.

A new BP&W will require a little "tweaking" but it is worth the effort.

Enjoy your new gear,

Tobin

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Moved to the Dive Rite forum.
Personally I wouldn't consider this a DiveRite issue per se, it's kind of generic to the BP system at times.
It's not an issue for me on my non-DR BP/W. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom