Good regulator for a relatively new diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

csrempert

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I need some advice for a good regulator for me. I got certified in May and I have about 15 dives logged. What would be a good regulator for under $350? I know this sounds a little broad but if you guys could help me out I would really appreciate it. Thanks.

I would say the Aqualung Titan LX, MK 11/R 395 or the MK 17/S555 would be a great start for you. They are very good regulators very easy breathers, and not to complicated. All three regs are what they called balanced diaphram regs. What that means is that they a rubber diaphram on the first stage that keeps all of the outside sand, water etc. from getting in the regulator. Also, they have a balancing chamber on the bottom side to keep the air flow easy throughout the dive. Organizing the hoses are easier with these regs compared to like the MK 25. The second stages are balanced with the exception of the R 395. The R 395 is a standard downstream second stage which doesn't have a balancing chamber like the Titan LX or S 555. Not to say its a bad regulator. Scubadiving.com rated it a very good to excellent breather and earned best buy. They are in your price range. Good luck.

Not sure where you are located so I would vote for a major brand reg that you can get serviced by someone you trust.

That said I dive a Zeagle Envoy Deluxe. Great reg my LDS services it etc...

My wife dives a Sherwood Blizzard, Same service at LDS less drymouth great reg (I've dove with it 2 times).

Scuba.com has an Oceanic Alpha 8 PX3 for $239.00 with free shipping. Oceanic builds a good regulator and for that price you can pick up a good oct also and stay within your budget.

By the way, I live in Dallas, TX. I dive locally every once in a while but I mostly like to dive in the Caribbean on vacation when I can.

Check out the Tusa RS-130 - Scuba toys carries it! Its an awesome reg and is under $200. It breathes just as good as my Zeagle EnvoyDs did if not better! (At Half the price!)

By the way, I live in Dallas, TX. I dive locally every once in a while but I mostly like to dive in the Caribbean on vacation when I can.

I believe ScubaToys is located in Dallas so you could check with them.

Thanks for the replies. I have another question. I need to buy the whole regulator/gauge/computer/octopus system. Tell me if this combination sounds ok for someone in my situation. I understand it surpasses my previously stated $350 limit but that's ok.

Aqualung Titan LX regulator
Aqualung ABS octopus
Suunto Gekko 2 gauge computer console

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom