What to buy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scott3257

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
With so many choices out there i have become overwhelmed. I have tried to do the research and have turned to the forum for advice. Looking for a camera and housing for around $500...am I crazy? Something decent not top of the line. Fantasea vs. Ikelite housings???? I want to use for documenting my dives and once and a while on the surface. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks

With so many choices out there i have become overwhelmed. I have tried to do the research and have turned to the forum for advice. Looking for a camera and housing for around $500...am I crazy? Something decent not top of the line. Fantasea vs. Ikelite housings???? I want to use for documenting my dives and once and a while on the surface. I am open to all suggestions. Thanks

check out the Canon A570IS(see my pics in sig)...camera & housing ~ $400 US.....

Used Sony Marine pack from a friend and a Sony cybershot from E-bay I've got about $200 into it total. Point and shoot is what I am guessing you are looking for with $500 check out used.

I've got a Canon A75 with the Canon housing for sale. 3.2 megs, good exposures can blown up to 8x10, great starter setup.
$200 shipped.
I'm leaving for Coz in a couple of days, and I was going to take it with me to sell it there....

Check out a Mclaren DSLR system for ten times your $500 budget...the only way to go!

Check out a Mclaren DSLR system for ten times your $500 budget...the only way to go!

but... the mclaren comes with a miniskirt clad umbrella girl to assist you with changing ports, right?...:eyebrow:

Canon G9 with the Canon housing. This model has RAW capability should you chose to use that format, especially for underwater.

If you want RAW, go an A640 and use the CHKD software hack thing. less then half the price of a G9, and the pics are comparable I think.

Go for an Ike housing if you can afford it... It makes the addition of wet lenses and so on for macro shots possible. It allows you to go further long term should you choose to.

clgsamson has taken some amazing shots with the Canon A570is (in canon housing I think) so that is also worth a good look.

Whatever you get, make sure it has Full manual setting capabilities (aperture, shutter speed, ISO, white balance)

Z..

Don't be silly, McLaren don't make DSLR's!!! They make motor vehicles.

I think the Nikon D300 is what you are trying to point out, but, it is well beyond his budget.

Z...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom