Tiger Ray Scooter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone know anything about this model and how it compares to other scooters? Thanks.

Which other scooters? They're heavy, slow, prone to breakage around the shroud area. My students could typically outswim the unit and fought over a Mako or Gavin if they happened to be available.

X

BTW - they do have excellent customer service !

Excellent customer service?...when?...where?...I have owned two units for over a year.I have not been able to use them because the magnetic switches are broken. I called the company that used to make them several times and was assured that they would ship me some parts as they are no longer available on the open market. I called back after a sjuitable amount of time and was again told that they would send the parts I needed "free of charge". To date (9 months later)...I am still waiting. Would I buy another?... NO!!!!..Take my advice...spend a little more and get a reliable scooter.
Unless ya want mine...you can have them for $50 each and figure your own way to make them work. Plus shipping of course.

Excellent customer service?...when?...where?...I have owned two units for over a year.I have not been able to use them because the magnetic switches are broken. I called the company that used to make them several times and was assured that they would ship me some parts as they are no longer available on the open market. I called back after a sjuitable amount of time and was again told that they would send the parts I needed "free of charge". To date (9 months later)...I am still waiting. Would I buy another?... NO!!!!..Take my advice...spend a little more and get a reliable scooter.
Unless ya want mine...you can have them for $50 each and figure your own way to make them work. Plus shipping of course.

My experiences were about four years ago, just about the time they introduced the units. There are better units.

X

It depends what you need the scooter for the tyger-ray is great for the surface the way it is formed and neutral bouyancy at depth. Theres a ferry sunk in front of my house, The tyger takes me to it 3/4 the way with a set of double tanks. Then I just enjoy the dive to it, I mainly hunt so after I shoot my fish grab a couple of crab I make my way back. The time it is not running it will hold a better charge for the way back. It's a 26 minute dive out to 77 fsw, now I'm bringing back a stringer full of fish also. The sharks constantly want my Booty, so when I get tired of teasing them I go to the surface as soon as I am done with my deco. The tyger tows me easy at suface, all my other dpv's are a bit of a ordeal, doable, But the tyger is smooth and easy at surface.
First thing don't take it deeper than recommended or yes the switch and or the box inside can fail plus leakage. seal around motor and switch holes with silicone glue when you get it. Its about a 2" hloe in the battery compartment that they already have sealed. they do send the parts I have had no problem of course for there savings it takes about three weeks where I live to get them. The thing about underwater toys is you need a few of them so you don't go without until you get it fixed. If you dont dive much and do the things I suggest you should not have a problem, there cheap and you get to fix them yourself with free parts. I have the 24 volt and 12 volt version and they run the same speed and same battery time, The 24 weighs more out of the water so I let my wife ride the 12 she also has double tanks on.
Now on the other hand if you like depth and want to conserve air or narc the seadoos are cheap different depth ratings. But I would say you found a good deal on the ray. good luck.

Interestingly enough, a search for Tyger Ray's show that they are a discontinued item.

They were nice for kids who liked the novelty of using "slow" scooters, tandemed with parents, or instructors who were willing to lug the darn things. In the end, it was a product that divers didn't want. The glove and magnet combo. often started to deteriorate after regular usage. If you lost the tiny magnet underwater mid-way through a dive, there was no way for you to get back...unless you had some type of magnet backup.

X

The thumbglove with the magnet in it was irratable, I insalled a bigger magnet in a wetsuit glove. Now you don't have to hold that little magnet right on it. Just slice the top part of glove under the thumb, slip in magnet, aquaseal it. And yes they are not selling them any more that I know of, Thats why I figured he was asking about them. I FIGURED I WAS WASTING MY TIME, cause you can get the little seadoo at leisure pro for a couple bills and there alot lighter, I keep them in my boat house, so I just drop them in or put in boat.
They are actually best for snorkeling,I'll use and abuse them till they are dead.
I have two scuba pro scooters that are 14 yrs old they have a light attachment for rechargeable lights, I just use them for nightdives anymore. They look like my appollo's, Which I use during the day.
I doubled upped my torpedoes for long decompression trips. My gavins are for technical dives.
I hope santa brings me a few new seadoos this year, I just hate going without.

I don't know who ya bribed man! I know Florida is a bit far from the diving industry...LOL, but a year later I am still sitting here with two lumps and no parts. Either htese guys don't care(and why should they)or they are dumb as a doorknob and have the memory of a flea. All I asked for was info on how to fix my lumps, they offered the parts and then I got not another peep out of them... or the parts. Maybe I have to make a special trip there and spend much more than my two yellow lumps are worth and probably still get no satisfaction.
Anybody who may be interested...you can come and get these things...both for $100 with new batteries and the charger.

I don't know who ya bribed man! I know Florida is a bit far from the diving industry...LOL, but a year later I am still sitting here with two lumps and no parts. Either htese guys don't care(and why should they)or they are dumb as a doorknob and have the memory of a flea. All I asked for was info on how to fix my lumps, they offered the parts and then I got not another peep out of them... or the parts. Maybe I have to make a special trip there and spend much more than my two yellow lumps are worth and probably still get no satisfaction.
Anybody who may be interested...you can come and get these things...both for $100 with new batteries and the charger.

I live about 4 hours away, it may be worth my while!

I have three scuba pro scooters. I don't know how old they are (10 yrs) I'm wondering if and where parts are available?

Back
Top Bottom