Ningaloo sea snake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Did a couple of dives on the weekend before I head to the US for a holiday this week.

Things are a bit hectic, so not much time to process images, but I was pretty sure I got a good frame of this olive sea snake so I went looking for it:

snaketong.jpg

Enjoy...

Great Photo!!! How close were you when you took the photo?

Are these snakes very very venemous?
If so the answer to the question "How close were you when you took the photo?" is a lot closer than I would be, me I would recommend 500mm lens for this shot.

Awesome photo. I'm really jealous of the visibility and the marine life you get to experience.

That is just incredibly cool, Kristin. Nice shot.

Great shot.

Victor, the answer is yes.

You don't always have to go to them, olive sea snakes will come to you, curious creatures. Since you are not a food item and so long as you don't molest them, sea snakes are not a threat.

Wow, that's under water? It's so clear.
They can stick their tongue out under water? That's cool. I know snakes do that on land to 'taste' the air, but what would they be tasting under water?
Now, the question is, will they bite under water?

I did enjoy. Great pic.

Now, the question is, will they bite under water?

Yes they can bite underwater, the reason sea snakes have the most potent venom of any snake in the world is so they can subdue their prey ultra fast, so it won't swim too far away after being bitten. My understanding is that sea snakes are probably the most docile venomous snakes out there...I still wouldn't be too interested in handling one though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom