Regulator Cost Analysis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Novice

Registered
Reaction score
I am considering purchasing a first regulator and am leaning towards a Scubapro MK2 Plus/R190. Leisurepro sells this regulator for $150 (when they have it in stock) and my local dive shop sells if for $306 ($280 plus tax). I understand the benefits of purchasing from a local dive shop (warranty parts, knowlegable assistance, supporting local merchant where you can see things in person), but just wondering how long I'd have to use this regulator for the cost to even out. I've read that the parts package for Scubapro Regs runs $60 ($30 per stage) annually plus labor. How much is labor for an annual service? If I assume it is also $60 (I'm just pulling this out of the air since I have no experience), I'm looking at annual maintenance cost of $120 (leisurepro purchase) vs $60 (local dive shop). If I assume first service occurs at the beginning of year 2, and annually thereafter, it will take approximately 4yrs for the cost to even out. Since I anticipate being a recreational diver (1 to 2 shallow water carribean vacations a year), I might not get my first reg service until the beginning of year 3 (with leisurepro purchase, I understand this would void the warranty at the local dive shop) which means the cost recover wouldn't occur until even later. Does this line of reasoning make sense? I just want to make sure I'm thinking about this correctly. And could someone please give me a more accurate labor cost and correct me if I'm wrong regarding the parts package.

Thanks in advance.

LP claims to match the manufacturer warranty including "free parts" so if you send it back to LP for service your maintenance cost could be the same either way.

Wow, over double the price at the shop. Sounds to me like the shop is trying to take advantage of you because you are a new diver. That happens a lot with some, not all, shops. If you tell them the online price they may come down a bit, or may get pissed that you're thinking of buying online. If you don't dive frequently, in my opinion an annual overhaul is overkill anyway. Leisure Pro gives a warranty, I'd go with them for that price. Are there any other shops in your area?

With good user care, a Mk2/R190 should go for at least 2 years withlout an "annual service". The Mk2 may go for many more than that and the LP seat in the R190 can be flipped when it starts misbehaving and be good as new for a few more years. Service kits for those should retail for $10 - $15. If you find someone who wants $30 each go find someone else. Labor costs will vary by area and shop but $15 to $25 is a fairly common range. Again, watch out for gougers so settle on price in advance. There are a numbe of places where you can send your gear for service during the off season that are reasonably priced and do very good work. Unless you intend to faithfully service yearly to retain the warranty, you will never make up any extra cost buy from your LDS. I believe you are analyzing this correctly.

You can use the reg for 2 years, sell it, buy a new one, and still come out on top.

Awap summed it up nicely.
BTW, I bought a new MK2/R190 right out of OW cert class because scubapro had a $50 rebate going on, and at the time the price was $225, so it cost $175. I only serviced it twice for warranty reasons, then I figured I'd save more money in the long run just servicing it as needed and paying for parts.

$30/stage for a rebuild kit? Wow, if that's true then it's one of the most blatant rip-offs I ever saw. I'm looking at a MK2 kit right now; it consists of two o-rings, a small plug of nylon (I guess) for the HP seat, and the inlet filter/washer.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I estimated the repair costs wrong, but at the lower repair costs it would take even longer to recover the costs. Didn't realize that Scubapro's warranty covered parts (icing on the cake I guess). I don't think the dive shop was necessarily trying to take advantage of me any more than they would anyone else. Since I wasn't purchasing, I didn't try to haggle, and that was just the price they had listed. I'm sure they would probably offer me a discount if I had acted more interested. I have been to two of the dive shops in the area and they both had about the same price on this regulator. I plan on visiting another one a little further from my house next weekend. My wife and I have picked out some fins and a mask, but I'd like to know if they will fit before purchasing them online. I hate doing this (using the local dive shops to gather information and then purchasing online), but when the prices are close to double, it is hard to justify supporting the local shop. Once again, thanks for the replies.

Let me clarify my remark about the $30 parts package. I thought I read that somewhere, but I must have read it wrong. I didn't see it selling for that.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like I estimated the repair costs wrong, but at the lower repair costs it would take even longer to recover the costs. Didn't realize that Scubapro's warranty covered parts (icing on the cake I guess). I don't think the dive shop was necessarily trying to take advantage of me any more than they would anyone else. Since I wasn't purchasing, I didn't try to haggle, and that was just the price they had listed. I'm sure they would probably offer me a discount if I had acted more interested. I have been to two of the dive shops in the area and they both had about the same price on this regulator. I plan on visiting another one a little further from my house next weekend. My wife and I have picked out some fins and a mask, but I'd like to know if they will fit before purchasing them online. I hate doing this (using the local dive shops to gather information and then purchasing online), but when the prices are close to double, it is hard to justify supporting the local shop. Once again, thanks for the replies.

Just to clarify a few points so you better understand what you are dealing with. Scubapro establishes an MSRP and requires a dealer agreement limiting discounts to a maximum of 10%. You were probably quoted MSRP. This means that dealers who would like to compete with Leisurepro prices have to be very inovative. A few are but many sell scubapro because they want depend on high margins and are unwilling to be price competetive. Also, the scubapro warranty only covers parts that normally do not wear out. But the Scubapro USA distributor also has a "parts-for-life" program that does cover service kits and other soft parts but it requires that you maintain your warranty by having your reg serviced annually. This program is not offered or honored anywhere but USA and Canada. I believe a random scubapro shop is more likely to show you to the door than to make any serious attempt to compete with Leisurepro on a price/value basis. But the attempt may give you an idea of who you might want to do business with in the future.

My wife and I have picked out some fins and a mask, but I'd like to know if they will fit before purchasing them online. I hate doing this (using the local dive shops to gather information and then purchasing online), but when the prices are close to double, it is hard to justify supporting the local shop.

Then don't. I'm a big online buyer but it's not right to use the LDS as a fitting room when you have no real intentions of buying from them. Sizing fins isn't rocket science... they come in only a handful of sizes. If your face shape is "normal" it's highly likely any mask will fit you fine. Borrow from friends or rent a variety of equipment to give this stuff a real in-water test, if possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom