Proton mouthpiece?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Toes

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving a Mares Proton MR-12 reg for some time now, and the only downside i've really found with it is the cheesy mouthpiece. Now, Mares manufactures the second stages in such a way that the area where the mouthpiece would normally clamp in unusually long. To that end, producers of really good mouthpieces (such as seacure, which i really like) don't make anything that will fit onto there. Anybody diving these and have found a mouthpiece that fits and is fairly solid? Mares guy, i'm looking at you and will send this to you if i don't get any good answers! Thanks in advance for the help.

Toes, I believe you've been misinformed. Seacure does make a mouthpiece for the Proton. I installed one on my girlfriends Proton second stage and it works perfectly for her. I don't remember which one it is. A quick look on the seacure website should fill you in on this. Or any competent dive shop should be able to help.

Cheers!:coffee:

My wife dives a Proton XL with a Seacure - had no trouble fitting it to the reg. I use a Seacure on a Proton Ice with no problem.

I think it takes a Type II Seacure.

You only need to slip the Seacure (or any mouthpiece) on until the lip on the reg fits into the grove on the mouthpiece and then install the zip-tie - there is some gap between the end of the mouthpiece and the body of the reg, but that does not matter - anything on the mouthpiece that goes past the zip-tie is just excess rubber/silicone and just makes it harder to remove the mouthpiece if you want to take it off later.

PS - the Seacure is a tight fit going on which is good since it means it will not slip off even if the zip-tie comes loose or breaks.

Exactly. It's a Type II Seacure. I just put one on my Proton a couple of months ago.

-Charles

All of you that responded, I appreciate the input but you are all wrong. Seacure does not make a mouthpiece to fit this reg, and if you call the company they will confirm this. As a matter of fact, it is about the ONLY reg that they don't make a mouthpiece for due to the long tube that it needs to attach to. If you've managed to monkey one onto your reg in an attempt at a better fit, it may work for a few dives but will eventually start leaking water (I know because I've done this:wink: Next???

Big toes, from the seacure website
"SeaCURE II - fits intermediate size air orifice regulators.
ABYSS Explorer, AERIS, APEKS (ATX 200 works better with a Pro II), AQUA LUNG Titan + Legend, BEUCHAT VS8,VS4,VS3,VX10, DACOR Viper + Eagle, DIVE RITE, FORTE, HALCYON REBREATHER, MARES-newer models (but not MARES MR-12-II,III,IV or V), OCEAN EDGE, OCEAN REEF, OCEANIC (not Zeta), ODYSSEY, SCUBA MAX, SEAQUEST, SHERWOOD (Maximus,Oasis, 2/92 and newer Blizzard), SPORASUB, XS SCUBA (Osprey is a I), ZEAGLE "

From what I understood, you have a Mr12 1st stage and Proton second stage? Did you specifically ask seacure if it would fit your "Proton second stage"? Or did you ask if it would fit your Mr12? There might be some confusion there since the setup you have (which is identical to my girfriends) is a Mr12 first stage (which has absolutely nothing to do with the seacure) and a Proton second stage (which is what matters for your seacure fitting!). You could contact them again and tell them specifically you have a Proton second stage!!!! If they tell you again it won't fit, then I'll be seriously mixed up!

Honnest to god, I set up myself a seacure (it was the II now that I remember) on my girlfriends setup without any "monkeying". It was a nice tight fit on the Proton 2nd stage and has worked great for her ever since!

Hope this helps you out!:coffee:

Secure rules on both my M-12 & V-16.

Vanessar

Try the new "sport" or "high flow" model which does not have the yellow hard plastic ring. I know I've seen them someplace, although they might be discontinuing them.

When you say "long" I assume you're talking about a wide opening from side to side, correct? I'm sure you know that "long" meaning greater length of the mounting "tube" from reg body to mouthpiece would not matter.

All of you that responded, I appreciate the input but you are all wrong. Seacure does not make a mouthpiece to fit this reg, and if you call the company they will confirm this. As a matter of fact, it is about the ONLY reg that they don't make a mouthpiece for due to the long tube that it needs to attach to. If you've managed to monkey one onto your reg in an attempt at a better fit, it may work for a few dives but will eventually start leaking water (I know because I've done this:wink: Next???

Well, I guess my wife should have choked long ago if this was the case. She has been using a Secure Sport on her Proton 2nd for well over a year and has not complained ever about it leaking or breathing wet - that's over 75 dives. In fact, I just bought her a Proton Metal 2nd (for her Christmas present) since she complains about dry mouth).

I think the problem that Seacure notes is with some 2nd stages that were previously supplied with the MR12. As far as I can tell, all the Proton 2nds are identical and the Seacure II fits them all.

People, this does NOT fit on this reg. I know some of you have it on there, but because you have to force it on there doesn't necessarily mean that it's supposed to be there.
a) yes, I believe that Mares designates the MR-12 as the first stage but irregardless the mouthpiece is going on the second stage so it really shouldn't matter.
b) When i'm referring to the attachment portion not being the right size, yes it is a width issue but take a look at the length. See a 1/4" gap? does that look right to anybody that has jammed these on? maybe you like using a hammer to fix your camera?
c) and lastly, when i call the mfg. specifically to ask about this issue and they point blank tell me that 'there is no product we make that fits that reg' wouldn't you guys assume this mouthpiece shouldn't be on there?

The initial point of this post was to find a mouthpiece that would fit. The seacure does not and should not be on this reg. We could debate all day long whether or not we could force it on there and whether it would work or not. End of story. I appreciate everybody's input but also believe that it's time to move on here. If anybody's got feedback on a different type of mouthpiece i'd be stoked to hear about it. thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom