Another "My first regulator" question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shekes

Contributor
Reaction score
Until now my only own piece of equipment was my mask. I just received my PADI DM card yesterday and, since the dollar went to hell, it seems like a good time to shop. So in the next few weeks I will buy a complete set for diving in tropics.

I am currently in Ireland. The choice here is poor and the prices unreal. Hence, my only options are to purchase it from a US online retailer or else in SE Asia once I get there.

I really loved the scubatoys site. It is beautiful, has loads of info and apparently is excellent value. On this page there are few reg packages. I was thinking the MR 12 package or else the Abyss reg with the package of MR12. The Abyss package is a bit pricey, but just having the "number 2" (or so they say) with a cheaper octo/console is tempting. So any thoughts on that are welcome as well.

Until now my only own piece of equipment was my mask. I just received my PADI DM card yesterday and, since the dollar went to hell, it seems like a good time to shop. So in the next few weeks I will buy a complete set for diving in tropics.

I am currently in Ireland. The choice here is poor and the prices unreal. Hence, my only options are to purchase it from a US online retailer or else in SE Asia once I get there.

I really loved the scubatoys site. It is beautiful, has loads of info and apparently is excellent value. On this page there are few reg packages. I was thinking the MR 12 package or else the Abyss reg with the package of MR12. The Abyss package is a bit pricey, but just having the "number 2" (or so they say) with a cheaper octo/console is tempting. So any thoughts on that are welcome as well.

checkout leisurepro.com. if ST and leisurepro carry the same piece of gear (regs are a good example) then LP is almost always going to be cheaper.

If you don't want to buy from LP, you can get ST to just match LP's price.

No offense is intended by this question but, how did you make it to be a DM without buying some of your own gear(in addition to a mask)? Did your instructor provide the gear Etc???

Anyway I just recieved another package (bc knife deal) from Scubatoys great sevice prices etc...Good luck

I'm surprised an instructor would let you get to DM without your own gear. Maybe, and that's a big maybe, no tanks but everything else you should have by now. Anyways second scuba toys.

I just read on another thread that scubapro is discontinuing the MK/R190 combo, so you could get that at a discount, maybe $150 U.S. if you look around. It's not a flashy reg, but extremely reliable and quite a bit better breathing than most people give it credit for. Anyhow, $150 for a solid reg that will last forever is a good deal IMO.

If you look at most of these "first reg" threads, you'll see that most people just recommend what they dive, and since mostly they're all diving different regs, you can be pretty well assured that whatever you buy it will work well for rec diving. Ease of service is a big issue.

If you look at most of these "first reg" threads, you'll see that most people just recommend what they dive, and since mostly they're all diving different regs, you can be pretty well assured that whatever you buy it will work well for rec diving. Ease of service is a big issue.
Well said, very accurate! Shekes, you are just starting on an incredible odyssey, and I don't mean moving to and diving in the tropics. Gear purchases, gear ownership, gear decisions. So much to buy, so little time (and money).

Buy what you can get serviced locally - or if you are moving around, what can be serviced nearly anywhere. All other things considered, if you buy a quality brand, a reg is a reg is a reg unless you are planning on diving in fairly extreme conditions or have preference for a very easy breathing reg - which I assume may not be the case if you are a newly minted DM who has never owned a reg.

You do have an advantage over the average newby reg buyer in that you have probably tried a few regs and should have an idea of what you like and what can be serviced.

dkatchalov, Thank you for the tip! I will however, buy from scubatoys. I enjoy browsing their website, they have excellent descriptions and I even printed out their article on balanced regs. It is free info but is better than many of PADI's expensive manuals and it deserves to be rewarded.

1_T_Submariner, no offense taken. However, you could have welcomed me to the forum and/or congratulated to the DM before embarking on a crusade of holy inquisition.:eyebrow:

JimLap, "should"... ...could... would...
I already have a father and maybe he is a big shot at PADI's Organizatsia and just gave me the DM-card for my 9th B-day? :eyebrow:

mattboy, Colliam7, DA Aquamaster, thanks. I'll start another thread with very specific questions.

Shekes,

I do agree people like to justify what they bought, so take everything with caution. I like the ST package of the Abyss/Proton and the AirLab. Do they still sell it? It does everything you want and is very reliable. Mares is easily serviced all through Thailand if your coming back to these parts. I like Poseidon but getting them serviced locally is tough.

A DMT without gear, did the rentals cost you an arm and a leg? Could you use the same kit for most of the training? You will really like having your own stuff. When you get bored you can change things as needed. I kind of wish the AirLab would crap out so I can justify getting a D6 or D9.

Good luck,

AZ

1_T_Submariner, no offense taken. However, you could have welcomed me to the forum and/or congratulated to the DM before embarking on a crusade of holy inquisition.:eyebrow:

Oh sorry Welcome to Scubaboard! :D:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom