"Made In ???" For Sherwood Products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mark Duddridge

Contributor
Reaction score
I am planning on purchasing a Sherwood SCUBA gear package in the next week or two, and I will be purchasing it either in Canada (where I live) or in the US (if the lower price justifies it).

One of the issues with bringing products from the US into Canada is duty. Because of NAFTA, you only have to pay duty on products that are not made in Canada, US, or Mexico.

I've talked to a couple of Sherwood dealers with regards to where the products I am looking at are made, and I've gotten some conflicting information. I was wondering if someone (particularly the Sherwood rep on this forum) would mind confirming that the below information is correct:

Avid BCD (Thailand)
Blizzard Reg (USA)
Dual Octo (USA)
Wisdom II (USA)

Thanks!

I bought my sherwood/Genesis equipment in the US in June. There was no duty applicable, only GST & PST.

I live on the US, CA boarder.
I find the customs officers are worried about other things, they really seem to care less about collecting duty if your honest. I have bought a few high ticket items in CA and delcared them at customs, was told "have a nice day sir".

I've had a Brut for 14 years, and also just bought a new Blizzard for less than Cdn $380 (before taxes). I bought them both because of their reputation for durability and they're Made in U.S.A.

Be careful of buying outside of Canada, since you live there. I don't know why the Sherwood Rep didn't warn you. There was a recent thread here about a Canadian guy getting his new Sherwood Regs from Leisure Pro/USA (which is a Sherwood Dealer) and then having some real problems with it. He couldn't get the Sherwood shops in Canada to help him and it was so expensive and time consuming to send it back and forth to the USA. He finely gave up and bought himself a whole other brand (Mares).

Last edited:
Haven't seen it happen with main brand scuba gear, but I've known people who bought off brand gear and non-scuba equipment, PC's especially, in the US only to discover the model was never sold in Canada and just plain isn't supported here.

Back
Top Bottom