Pneumatically balanced second stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

milosusa

Registered
Reaction score
Hi to everybody again, I do have another Q. about regulators. It is any big advantage of the pneumatically balanced second stage compare to mechanical balancing system I do have on my Oceanic GT3 with adjustable inhalation system. It is much easiest to breath thru pneumatically balanced second ? Somehow I am curious about how different diving stuff work in real live.
THX milos

The initial cracking suction should be the same whether it is pneumatically balanced or not.

The pneumatically balanced is affected substantially less by IP (intermediate pressure) changes; therefore any momentary IP drop during the inhalation cycle (see note) will not increase the required suction to sustain the flow. All good second stages use a venturi effect to assist in maintaining this flow, but the venturi performance is less critical if the second stage is pneumatically balanced.

Note: If you place an IP gauge on your regulator, you will notice a slight momentary IP drop during the inhalation cycle.

The mechanical coil spring in a pneumatically balanced second stage is lighter, which should reduce the indentation on second stage seat during storage.

IMHO the pneumatically balanced mechanism is a relatively simple improvement with very little draw backs relative to its improvement. It does add a couple more O-rings, but IMHO it can improve consistent performance between relatively longer service intervals.

It is a small improvement, but there haven’t been any large improvements in the last 30 years.

I converted all my Scubapro 109 to balance adjustable and they work great with very little maintenance

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom