MR12 Abyss, Maximus or another adjustable second stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shekes

Contributor
Reaction score
I am in the process of buying my very first set of equipment and I'm pretty set on buying it all from scubatoys.
Here is what we have agreed on:

A-Pack Harness System
Mach V - Razor Wing
SS Travel Backplate
Sausage Weight Pocket
Deluxe Medium Weight Pocket
Mares MR 12 Abyss
Viper Octo
Mares MC2 RGBM Console

I am a recreational warm water diver and I am starting u-videoing with a VX2100 soon.
My most important criteria are mobility and comfort.

I undersand MR12 Abyss is a good reg. But I am looking for comfort and I want an adjustable second stage. So I thought Sherwood Maximus.

Maximus is expensive and apparently/allegedly isn't the best to go deep. I don't like how many regs inflate me like a BC. I want to inhale on my own but be able to get enough air when I need it. Hence, I want an adjustable second stage.

Any ideas?

I would not worry about the Abyss not being adjustable - it breathes great without it. Besides you will really like the all metal 2nd, since it reduces dry mouth. Remember, until recently the MR22 Abyss held the record for deep diving - it will give you more air than you would ever need at any depth.

Until I switched back to a Double Hose I never had a complaint about the way the Abyss breathed (still don't but nothing breathes as easy as a real double hose - not the "new" Mistral).

Back
Top Bottom