Blow or not to blow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ronski101

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Back in the dark ages when I got certified I was taught to blow some air from the tank to get any water off of my 1st stage valve where it fits against the tank O ring as I was removing it. I recently had my regs looked at and was told that this was a No No because it would force water into my unsealed 1st stage.
Blow or not to blow, that is the question.

Today, most divers spend more time, thinking about possible problems, rather than diving and experiencing real problems. . . releasing air from your tank to blow unseen water from your 1st stage is risking more problems than they solve. Blowing high pressure air is risky with no good side, unless you have salt water spray hit you just as you disconnect your regulator. Drying with a towel will remove most water with no risk of damage. Annual service can clean up what little water might get through to parts in the 1st stage. . . If you drop your open 1st stage into the ocean, take it in for service, don't play with the high pressure from a tank.

Next time you hear some new idea. . . consider the benefit - risk of of the idea. Divers have been giving good and bad advice since Cousteau. The evils of Mask on forehead, knife on inside of leg, My regulator is the only safe one, my BC, my octopus regulator. There are many things said about diving safety that are just wild speculations, with no basis in fact. Listen to these new "commandments" and think them through, go diving and think for yourself.

I carry a small bottle of FW with a squirt cap that I use to rinse my 1st stage connection and dust cap after every SW dive. A quick wipe with a towel and blow out the dust cap with my breath and it's ready to go. SW is gone and the little FW that might be left is pretty harmless. When finished diving for the day, I use the same bottle to rinse the ambient chambers on my piston 1sts.

Back in the dark ages when I got certified I was taught to blow some air from the tank to get any water off of my 1st stage valve where it fits against the tank O ring as I was removing it. I recently had my regs looked at and was told that this was a No No because it would force water into my unsealed 1st stage.
Blow or not to blow, that is the question.

I use my patented multi-color regulator cleaning tool to remove excess water from the first stage inlet.

regulator_drying_tool.jpg

OTOH, I do use the tank air to dry the rubber dust cap.

Terry

You know whats really scarry...I instantly reconized where that photo was taken.

A fresh water rinse and wiping is best but if your careful, nothing really wrong with blowing it out either. Careful is the key word, something a lot of people are not. All in all, fresh water rinse and wiping is best.

A regulator tech told me that using air from your tank to dry the dust cap can be bad. It can cause vaporized salt water to enter the first stage. Since I switched to din, I don't have this problem. Dust cap stays on dry land.

Ahhh the good old days where we had to dry what was already dry:D
When I started diving in the early 80's we had to do it this way,and when I questioned it, there was no answer,other then it just was the way to do it :confused:

Indeed it does more damage than any thing else,you just blow dripping water into the filter,witch was dry to begin with :11:
If you love to bring your $$$ to your LDS, keep on doing it they'll love you for it. :lotsalove:
Otherwise only dry the dustcap or go to DIN and leave the dustcap in your car :D

I rinse the connection with 1/2 liter of water. Then I try to give it a little time to drip & dry,
before breaking it, DIN or yoke.

I do keep the regulator inlet clear while blowing the dust caps dry. That works a lot better after the salt has been rinsed away.

Pete

I rinse the connection with 1/2 liter of water. Then I try to give it a little time to drip & dry,
before breaking it, DIN or yoke.

You have to be kidding.

Back
Top Bottom