Transpac stability with doubles

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

adstaa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I prefer my transpac over a BP but when diving it with doubles I find it a little unstable compared to a BP. I am using the stab plates and I am having the same issues whether it's diving twin steel 55's, Ali 95's or Steel 104's. The tanks tend to shift side to side on my back if I turn to look behind me.

Can anyone suggest something that has worked for them to stop this happening so much?

Is it a result of the padding being slippery against my wetsuit? Or is it something that is just inherant of the design?

Cheers

You have pretty much answered your own question. Even with the stab plates installed, the transpac is not nearly as stable with doubles as a backplate.

I prefer my transpac over a BP but when diving it with doubles I find it a little unstable compared to a BP. I am using the stab plates and I am having the same issues whether it's diving twin steel 55's, Ali 95's or Steel 104's. The tanks tend to shift side to side on my back if I turn to look behind me.

Can anyone suggest something that has worked for them to stop this happening so much?

Is it a result of the padding being slippery against my wetsuit? Or is it something that is just inherant of the design?

Cheers

I have dove the TP quite a lot and find it every bit as stable; do you have it properly adjusted? Are you using the chest strap? I assume you have the wingnuts over the stabilizer plates pulled up tight. Stabilizer plate is a misnomer; they are really big washers to distribute weight away from the grommet.

To fit the transpac; assuming you have the proper size, the metal plates on the waist band should be within a few inches of the backplate. Let out the adjustment on the shoulder straps. Put it on; close the chest strap buckle, it should be adjusted so that the shoulder straps are vertical and parallel on your shoulder/chest. Put on the crotch and waist bands. Now you can pull the lower portion of the shoulder straps snug. This would be properly adjusted.

Since the tanks are closer to your body than with a BP it should feel as if it is a part of you.

PM me if you want to discuss whether or not you have the correct size.

Jerry

Ok, with some mucking trial and error and a few of Jerry's suggestions I have been able to finally get the stability I was looking for out of my Transpac. I've found it to be as stable as the plate I was comparing it against.

For those of you who have TP's and have had some stability issues, keep at it, take some of the suggestions on board and you can make it work for you.

Cheers to Jerry for the help :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom