Why (or why not) Ikelite?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

itsjustme0770

Contributor
Reaction score
OK, so I am trying to understand why I would purchase a more expensive housing for my D200. Can some folks chime in on what issues they have had with Ikelite or, equally as important, why they prefer the ikelite to other housings. Thanks very much in advance for the comments, suggestions and tips.

I have an Ike housing for my D200 and I love it. I also had one for my D100, and I loved that one too. I have 6" ports, the 8" dome, and DS200 substrobes.

The price is good, the quality is fantastic, the customer service is superb.

You will never find a definitive answer as to why you should or should not buy Ikelite.

There will always be people claiming the quality isn't there, that their aluminum housing is rated to 300 feet, and Ike housings are only rated to 200 feet. How often do you dive beyond 200 feet?

There are plenty of folks who point out that the Ikelite housing is HUGE! Put an 8" dome and a couple of strobes on their housing. It's just as big. Sure, the housing could be 1/2" narrower. How will that make my photography better?

The Ikelite housing gives you TTL for $1500. With the other housings, TTL may not even be an option, and if it is, tack $500 onto the $5K price of the housing.

It's a simple question -- how much do you want to spend, how much value do you want for your money, and how do you perceive value?

I would not hesitate to recommend Ikelite to anyone.

In my opinion the primary advantqage that Subal, Light&Motion and other machined aluminum housings offer is improved ergonomics. Hold both types in your hands and the difference should be apparent. Is it worth the difference in price? I'm not sure myself. It's a personal matter. Some can take great shots no matter what rig they're using. Others find a plexiglass box to be akward and unwieldly. Ideally, you'd try both before making a decision.

btw. The small size of the SeaTool D200 housing is somewhat unique. It also means the housing is quite heavy underwater. I'm not sure I'd use that particular housing as a baseline for comparison with Ikelite housings.

As I've stated in other threads, I went with an Ike because of price and TTL. I really like my Ike housing but it can be quirky. For starters, I wish the flash connection would screw, or lock down onto the hot shoe of my camera body. I've had it accidently come loose a few times when putting the housing together and I didn't notice until UW. It's no fun pushing strobes that don't fire. I now have a more thorough pre-dive check to make sure this doesn't happen.

I also have had trouble with the main control wheel knob not making good contact. But replacing the little rubber do-hickey that comes into contact with the wheel fixed that.

I also had the bulk head work loose which I didn't notice until at about 20 feet into a dive when I saw water rushing in. It's something that could've been prevented with a pre-dive check. Fortunately the camera and housing came out just fine after drying out. In fact, I put another camera in that day and finished my assignment.

In the end I've been pretty happy with my Ike housing. It's not perfect but the price is great and it fits my needs. Besides, I'm sure I could spend a whole lot more and still have some things I'd like to change about the housing.

Ikelite has the best customer service I've ever received. Read some of the threads about how they treat their customers. If you have a problem they take care of it.

Ikelite makes a fine housing for the D200 at a cost that is not out of range for normal people. Been using mine for about 6 mos now and I love it. Also tried a Sea&Sea housing at Bonnie's photo workshop down in cozumel and it was heavier but maybe becasue she had two Ikelite strobes and a focus light attached. Got great pics with both.

One thing I gotta say about Ikelite is that they are a good company if you need support. They're right on it and always answer the phone. New cameras come along every year these days and upgrading is too expensive so I like the idea of going with a lower price package like what Ikelite sells.

I also had the bulk head work loose which I didn't notice until at about 20 feet into a dive when I saw water rushing in. It's something that could've been prevented with a pre-dive check. Fortunately the camera and housing came out just fine after drying out. In fact, I put another camera in that day and finished my assignment.

I had that exact same thing happen to me with my Ike D70 housing. The nut on the back of the bulkhead connector (on the inside of the housing back) came loose and there was some water intrusion during a dive. I noticed it at my safety stop so I ascended and was able to save the camera and housing before there was any damage. I contacted Ikelite shortly afterwards and explained what had happened and they said that that nut should not have normally come loose - but I knew after that to periodically check it.

I had that exact same thing happen to me with my Ike D70 housing. The nut on the back of the bulkhead connector (on the inside of the housing back) came loose and there was some water intrusion during a dive. I noticed it at my safety stop so I ascended and was able to save the camera and housing before there was any damage. I contacted Ikelite shortly afterwards and explained what had happened and they said that that nut should not have normally come loose - but I knew after that to periodically check it.

Yeah, that's a fun feeling isn't it Warren? I actually was seeing a stream of bubbles coming out of the housing. Yikes! :D

In mine, I noticed a lot of heavy condensation on the inside of the port, and eventually water droplets rolling across the inside of the port. I inverted the dome and saw a bit of water starting to pool. Then that sinking feeling sets in. Luckily I was done the dive and was able to surface. Nothing like coming up and having to hand your camera up port side down and then opening it up to drain the water.... :(

As far as I could figure, the nut must have vibrated through after being transported numerous times in various boats over the time I had the housing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom