Regulators for tropical waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Newbie Diver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm pretty new to diving but is thinking of getting a regulator. I'm forseeing myself to be diving mainly in tropical areas like Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.

Any advice on what brand of reg would be good to start off? Heard that Apeks is a good brand but any recommended model? As it's going to be my 1st reg, I'm not looking an extremely high-end reg.

Many thanks! :wink:

I would go for a brand that would be easy to service and find parts for in the area(s) where you plan to dive.

I personally use Apeks and Scubapro regs. Both brands are pretty bullet proof but I would say that Apeks are not that popular around here compared to Scubapro, Mares, Oceanic etc...

Otoh, since you're based in Singapore, you shouldn't have any problem if you go with Apeks. For single tank diving, DS4/XTX50 is more than good enough.

I'm pretty new to diving but is thinking of getting a regulator. I'm forseeing myself to be diving mainly in tropical areas like Malaysia, Indonesia and Thailand.

Any advice on what brand of reg would be good to start off? Heard that Apeks is a good brand but any recommended model? As it's going to be my 1st reg, I'm not looking an extremely high-end reg.

Many thanks! :wink:

Hello,

Shortly, you will be swamped with advise about buying a regulator, mostly by people who own a brand and are very fond of it. One thing to keep in mind about regulators is that most are great at what they do. So how do you separate the weed from the chaff? That won't be easy, but it will be fun and entertaining. Soon you will find out there are quite a few gurus on this board in each section. It's helpful to pick out a few of them and read lots of their post and you will be off to a very good start. In the regulator section I can highly recommend the post of (in no particular order) Awap, DA Aquamaster, Captain, Pescador775 and Luis H …there are lots of others but that will keep you busy for a while.

At any rate, you want a regulator brand that has a good track record for keeping parts available for each model. Of course unless you intend to DIY, you also want a regulator that can be serviced by your local dive shop and lots of locations in the world. The two best companies in both regards are Aqualung and Scubapro.

My recommendations for the average recreational diver, i.e. not freezing water, 150 feet or less, is a simple non balanced piston 1st stage such as the Scuba Pro MK 2 , there are other manufacturers with similar designs. This simple design is usually inexpensive (see http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?product_id=MK2-1st)nearly bullet proof, easy to get parts for and serviced and easy to DYI because it requires only a few o-rings and a seat. Yes, the unbalanced design will increase the breathing effort at low tank pressure, but I view this as a good thing especially for new or inexperienced divers. Additionally, if/when one wants to start more advanced diving where high concentrations of oxygen will be used this type regulator can be moved to that application.

For a second stage I like an adjustable and balanced unit. This provides the ability to have the regulator tuned to minimum inhalation resistance with the option of the diver increasing the resistance it if he/she finds the need to. Having said that, a straight forward classic downstream design with a simple to replace set of o-rings and button soft seat can be highly recommended as it is a tried and true design, parts are usually available and almost anyone can service them.
I do think it is a good idea to have the same manufactures 1st and 2nd stage to make getting service less complicated.
For high end/higher performance regulators see the following link for DA's excellent advice.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/regulators/181745-advice-regulators.html

couv

OK, I guess you won't get swamped with advice. ;-)

...let us know what you bought....couv

Since your in SE Asia get ScubaPro regs. Almost everywhere you go thats what at least one operator will be using. I use APEKS but the service is much harder to get in that area of the world. If you can afford it try the higher end combo's look around for a Mk25 / G250 set either used or old new stock still on the shelf that you can get a deal on. If it's a used set take it in and have it serviced.

Couv has some really good advice for you. Interestingly, in Caribbean tropical locations, Mares regs seem to be the easiest to find immediate parts and service for; I have no idea about SE Asia, but you should check. The SP MK2 is a great recreational reg; it's a tried and true design based on ultra simplicity and if it's well cared for, should never give you any trouble whatsoever. I've had mine down to 130ft and would not hesitate to dive with it at that depth again. It's usually sold with the R190 2nd stage, but if you were to find a balanced 2nd to pair it up with, you will get better performance. One great option would be to find a used metal case Sp 2nd, like the 109, and have it rebuilt and converted to balanced/adjustable. This is a very simple upgrade. Then you would use that as your primary 2nd, saving the R190 for your alternate.

A big thank you to all of you! Think I'll wait for a decent 2nd hand Apeks. Just to share, I'd be going to Egypt next month and am planning to dive at least once in the Red Sea. Will share the pics when back!

Once again, thanks all!

Back
Top Bottom