Gear packing question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TheDavil

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

This is the first time I'll be packing strobe, arms, tray, etc., in addition to the camera and housing for a trip. I got a Pelican case for it, and before I start positioning the equipment in it, I had a couple of questions:

Do most of you disassemble the strobe head/arms/tray and pack each component separately? Or do you pack it all assembled, ready to take out and shoot?

Also - do you lug the case onto the boat with you, or just carry the camera?

The logistics were a lot easier when it was just the camera and housing :D

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

David

There have been a lot of threads on this, and what different folks do. I personally put my housing and dome in a Pelican case, and then put that in a soft side bag as kinda a disguise. I carry on my strobe, and arms, and my camera gear.

Some folks check everything (Catherine comes to mind). Others attempt to carry everything on. Most break down the gear, but it kinda depends on what size case one has. My case is a midsized Pelican, and only holds my housing (sans the Tray) and the ports.

To/From the boat, I use a soft sided cooler on wheels. If I'm diving Coz, or somewhere that you can get picked up from the Dock at a hotel, then I just put the rig together, and put my dome and maybe another lens in a dry bag. Most don't carry camera equipment bags on the boat as it gets to be a bit to manage your dive bag, a dry bag, and a camera bag. It also depends on the size of the boat. On a six pack, there is not all that much room for a lot of extra stuff.

Hope this helps

Back
Top Bottom