Alabama (or other) quarries in winter?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Does anyone know offhand if any of the Alabama or Georgia quarries operate through the winter? I need some cold water dives this winter to check some gear.

Thanks.

Does anyone know offhand if any of the Alabama or Georgia quarries operate through the winter?
Blue Water quarry in Pelham, AL is open the first Saturday of each month through the winter. Check their website for more details.

Yea, ABWA isn't quite cold enough. I need something approaching 40f or as close as I can get.

Yea, ABWA isn't quite cold enough. I need something approaching 40f or as close as I can get.
I think you'll have to go up into Tennessee to get anything approaching that cold. I have dove a couple of the quarries near Sweetwater, TN in January (don't ask), and as I recall, they were no colder than about 45 or so.

Alright, so a roadtrip is in order I guess. trying to get gear squared away for a Great Lakes trip and was hoping to get a good test without having to drive forever.

Hey Perrone, long time, hope all is well. Dive Haven does get down to mid forties, they claim 44 at the spring feed crack. You could give Richard a call, seeing how I don't have a dry suit I stay away from the mid forties, I did talk to them (Dive Haven) this week and the surface is 62 so you probably would'nt have to get to deep to hit 45. We're trying to get a trip to Peacock Dec 15th I'll give you call.

Take care

How deep are you willing to go to get to it? Any body of fresh water with sufficient depth is 39.6 F on the bottom.

Lake Lanier will probably be close to 40F in the winter. Below the thermocline, it is usually in the 40's all year.

I'd drop to 130-140 or so. Depends on which dive buddy I can convince to freeze for 30 minutes!

Brrrrr......

If you want cold in Alabama.... you want Moulton Quarry.

Its a small quarry and doesn't attrach a big crowd, but it's freezing. I dove there once in april and water temps on the bottom below the thermocline were in the 30's. Needless to say we didn't stay down long. The only thing exposed on my body was the area around my regulator and it was so cold that it hurt to move my lips after a few minutes.

Anyway, they will open the quarry during the winter for a minimum fee of 4 paid divers. ($15/diver so $60 total to open it for the winter.). Some guys I know go out a few times a winter and dive there and just pay the $60 bucks and have the place to themself.

The only other quarry open for divin that gets that cold might be Glencoe, Diveland, but it's closed also and for sale, but I was told if you had a minimum number of paid people they would open. I don't think that Bluewater gets below the 40's or 50's, but I can check monday for you from someone I know that dives it often in winter. Madison is the only other quarry that's been open commercially and they don't get that cold. (It's closed anyway due to politics).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom