UW Camera Advice Needed - camera options/comparisons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JessiLynne

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all. As I wait patiently for my new Nikon D200 and think about my trip to Bonaire in April I face an (important) dilemma. Which rig?

Unfortunately price is important. I have looked at housing my new D200 but by the time I get the housing (1500+), port (200+) and strobes/arms/syncs (1500+) it just seems an awful lot for my first underwater rig.

So other options that Im considering are...
1) smaller SLR (D40x, rebelxt, etc)
2) Sealife DC600
3) Sea&Sea DX-1g

What would be your take on these options? Has anyone used these items? Any example photos?

Thank you in advance for any help!

I'm not sure if option 1 makes any sense to me since you'd have to buy another dSLR. Much of the cost is going to be in the camera body and lenses, and to house another cheaper dSLR than the D200 is probably not going to save you much in the end.

If cost is really a big factor, then going with option 2 or 3 makes most sense. I can't speak to the quality of pictures these systems are capable of, but pricing differences are going to be significant compared to option 1.

Have you considered a housed p&s system from canon or olympus with a manufacturer branded housing? You can squeak this in for well under the cost of a dSLR housing.

Thanks for the reply.

The 2nd DSLR option may be possible (but much less likely) only because D40s and Rebels run around 600 with some housings avail for around 800. I have both canon and nikon lenses. It's less possible, but worth thinking (day dreaming:wink:) about.

More likely it will be one of the other two options. Has anyone tried the SeaLife or Sea&Sea? Are there some good reviews online?

As for other compact options... Manual control of ISO, shutter, ap and white balance needed. I'd also like lens options. I'm sure some of the compact p&s rigs would be worth considering but I don't know which would suit. I want to have access to strobes. Minimum lag time. Any suggestions would be welcomed and appreciated. :)

Thanks a million. :coffee:

If you have a look at Alcina's tagline, there are some useful links in assisting you in your search.

I have limited experience with the more recent p&s systems as it's been a while since I had one. I agree that manual control is pretty well a must, as I've found that automated modes (on both p&s and dSLR) often select settings that are less than optimal. The Canon A series immediately comes to mind. Be sure to check that the housing can add wet lenses (for wide and macro options), as well as the ability to connect a tray and handle system that can give you strobe capabilities in the future. Good luck!

The discontinued Olympus SP-350 remains a good choice. It shoots raw and you can pick them up cheaply. Olympus and Ike both make housings for them. If you get a strobe get one you can eventually use with the DSLR.

Or look for a used DSLR camera and housing. Entire packages pop up now and again and you might be able to snag a deal.

Thanks for the suggestions guys! :)

I like the looks of the 350 but I don't see any on ebay - Ill keep my eyes open for one though.

Alcina's link on camera choices is great. :)

Hi all. As I wait patiently for my new Nikon D200 and think about my trip to Bonaire in April I face an (important) dilemma. Which rig?

Unfortunately price is important. I have looked at housing my new D200 but by the time I get the housing (1500+), port (200+) and strobes/arms/syncs (1500+) it just seems an awful lot for my first underwater rig.

So other options that Im considering are...
1) smaller SLR (D40x, rebelxt, etc)
2) Sealife DC600
3) Sea&Sea DX-1g

What would be your take on these options? Has anyone used these items? Any example photos?

Thank you in advance for any help!

for $303 from Amazon.com(camera & UW case), I'd consider the Canon A570Is......see my pics in my sig......

Thanks for the suggestions guys! :)

I like the looks of the 350 but I don't see any on ebay - Ill keep my eyes open for one though.

Alcina's link on camera choices is great. :)

You might check the Olympus website and see if they have any refurbished 350's for sale. This isn't a bad way to go if they have them.

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. :)

I've been poking around the links they lead me too and am finding that a lot of the camera examples Ive seen are discontinued models.

Now I am really curious about the new sea&sea and whats currently on the market for compact models with housings.

This forum is awesome. Im learning a lot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom