The new crop of DSLRs...AAAARRGH!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Larry C

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Holiday time is coming, and my loving spouse has asked me for a list. While I'm not even close to ready to dump my little SP-350 and go over to the dark side underwater, I'm increasingly disappointed in the range of topside pics available to me. Looking to the UW future and a present that includes whale and dolphin pics, landscapes, nature shots of various types I'm thinking of a DSLR. All the major brands have new models, as well as the existing stuff. Thought about and have all but rejected the E-410. I like the small size, and you can get the 2 lens kit for $599 these days, but from what I've heard and read, it's just not much of a step up.
The Rebel XTi seems to be a decent camera, and can be had almost as cheap. Prices on D200's seem to be coming down, with the D300 out. The 40D has all the new features and the larger format sensor that will use combo lenses. On the top end, the new E-3 looks nice, but I've heard reports that it has similar issues to the E-410 in terms of the live view. That leaves the D-300. Pricey, with pricier lenses, but worth the difference?
I've read all the DPReview and Photo Forum comparisons and am still as confused as ever.
Price aside, does one stand out from the others based on perhaps lenses that can perform double duty, topside and UW, port availability, customer service...Any ideas?
How about an E-Bay D2X for the price of a new D-300?
What lenses?

Holiday time is coming, and my loving spouse has asked me for a list. While I'm not even close to ready to dump my little SP-350 and go over to the dark side underwater, I'm increasingly disappointed in the range of topside pics available to me.

This is precisely what drove me out of my beloved Oly5050 into a DSLR. At that time UW only represented about 25% of my shooting, and I'd reached the limits of artistic expression topside with my 5050. Funny thing, now I'm doing 75% of my shooting UW.

Looking to the UW future and a present that includes whale and dolphin pics, landscapes, nature shots of various types I'm thinking of a DSLR. All the major brands have new models, as well as the existing stuff. Thought about and have all but rejected the E-410. I like the small size, and you can get the 2 lens kit for $599 these days, but from what I've heard and read, it's just not much of a step up.
The Rebel XTi seems to be a decent camera, and can be had almost as cheap. Prices on D200's seem to be coming down, with the D300 out. The 40D has all the new features and the larger format sensor that will use combo lenses. On the top end, the new E-3 looks nice, but I've heard reports that it has similar issues to the E-410 in terms of the live view. That leaves the D-300. Pricey, with pricier lenses, but worth the difference?

I've read all the DPReview and Photo Forum comparisons and am still as confused as ever.

Price aside, does one stand out from the others based on perhaps lenses that can perform double duty, topside and UW, port availability, customer service...Any ideas?
How about an E-Bay D2X for the price of a new D-300?
What lenses?

Remember, with a DSLR system you are investing in a lifetime of lenses. Its like fly fishing - the rod is the thing, not the reel. The reel just holds the line. With a DSLR, I've found the glass is the thing. I'll keep every lens for a lifetime, while I'll switch out bodies every few years.

I started with a Nikon D70 as my first real DSLR (not counting my Oly E20.) I got it cheap cheap as people were dumping them to rush to the D80 (suckers...) I sold it last year to move into the D200. You'll see people dumping the D200 bodies soon to move to the D300 (a much more significant jump than D70 to D80, or even D70 to D200.)

For me, I can see me staying in the D200 for another 2 or 3 years. Its remarkable for what I do, a huge step up from the D70 and I love it.

Don't get hung up on the bodies. Look at the glass. The lenses you buy today will eventually belong to your children. The body you buy today will be on eBay in a couple of years. The glass is the thing.

A new housing system is next up for me. I started with Ikelite as it was so much cheaper than anything else. I've been in the line for years, and its been flawless, but I shoot everything manual now - so I change shot to shot and even change within the same shot. The Ike is clunky and slow for all of these changes. I need something smoother, faster, something one handed. Many of the AL housings offer that. I just need to summon the will to part with the cash to move into the Light & Motion or the Subal or something.

Your journey is just beginning!

---
Ken

Ken is right about one thing. It’s all about the lens. For many years I was a devoted Canon F1 user with a very nice collection of handsome FD lenses. When the world went digital, Canon decided to obsolete my fine collection, I switched to video.

One thing Ken, or anyone else can’t predict is obsolesces. If I was buying a DSLR again, I would go with Nikon, the latest and greatest model, the D3. The pain of the price will wear off long before the camera wears out or becomes obsolete.

I've been salivating over the D3 for the past while and that seems to be the direction I will probably go. The good thing about the D3 is that it is full frame and all of a sudden my old Nikon glass I have for my film SLR now becomes useful again. The downside of course is that to get the D3 and the lens I want for underwater use plus housing is going to cost large. But as a good friend of mine says, "he who has the most toys, wins!". I can't argue with that.

You guys better be careful with all this free wheeling talk of spending so much money on dSLRs so that you can have the "most toys".

f3Nikon will be all over you like stink on...

:)

David (who is happy with his D80 for another year or two)

On the top end, the new E-3 looks nice, but I've heard reports that it has similar issues to the E-410 in terms of the live view.

I have been looking at the same issues, although I have a strong leaning towards the E410 due to having Oly bodies and lenses already. I am curious about the live view issues you mention. Are you referring to the shutter lag in live view mode with auto focus?

I have just about decided to get the E410 in the Oly housing due to the small size and economical price. To me it seems a much more reasonable upgrade than dropping an additional $2,000.00 or so for a Canon or Nikon with a nice housing, plus I am really fond of the Zuiko lenses.

I have had Canon and Nikon before and am willing to go back to either with the right incentive, but I do want something fairly compact and I just can't afford a Seatool housing. I have also thought about getting a housing for my E330, but fear the viewfinder will be just a bit too dim and I hear the speed and overall image quality of the 410 is better.

It is always interesting to see what others decide when facing the same choices.

I am very happy with my 20D and may look to the 30D, I have heard of many issues with the 40D such as coming dirty from the factory, front focusing and lens issues so I would be careful about it. Get the 40D with plenty of time to return it if needed before any trip.

I like multiple shots per second as well as minimal shutter lag with the 20D.

Remember, the camera is the cheapest part of your underwater setup, the housing for the 20D-40D runs about $1300.00 with a single port and no strobes, the strobes run about $500.00 each usually with arm, unless you go for the high end. I would go Ikelite all the way myself after losing my rig in 50 feet of water for 8 weeks then finding it and everything still working.

Mike

Are you referring to the shutter lag in live view mode with auto focus?
Yes. I'm curious how Gary (CE4Jesus) will do with his. He's taking it underwater next week.
Warren, I'm not ready for a $5000 camera. $2K is pushing it.
David, be nice to F3, he has issues.
Ken, if you had to pick one topside lens for the D2/300 which one?

If yo are even thinking about taking a DSLR under water shop for the housing FIRST. Find one you want then buy whatever camera fits inside.. The housing is by far the most expensive part. It is silly to worry in one camera costs $500 more then the other when you are concidring something so expensive as an UW SLR housing.

When you look at housing look at the flash setup. Of couse you want two strobe units but what matters is how you control not just the overall power but inportently the RATIO of the power beween the two strobes. .

One option is to buy a cheap DSLR and a non-letronic housing. A Used Canon 350d insie an Ikilite. hen if it floods you have only lost a $300 used camera. The 350 can do great work. But on the other hand for only 10X the price you can put a Nikon D200 inside a light and motion and those thumb controls and LED bargraphs look really nice.

I don't like to take any expensive camera on a boat. Water and salt get into everything A used Nikon D70 would make a decent "boat camera" These were sold with the 18-70 lens as a "kit". That lens is perfect on a boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom