Colored covers on second stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pumpkin King

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so this is one of those questions that has been gnawing away at the back of my mind this week for no apparent reason. Dive Rite and others offer interchangeable covers on their second stages in different colors. According to what I know already:

Black- standard reg color
Yellow- standard color for secondary
Green- Oxygen

But what does Blue signify!? More than likely obvious :dork2: , or one of those super high tech things I shouldn't ask about. :D

I guess it could match the H's I don't have. :eyebrow:

Colored reg covers -- bad idea if you're using them to separate different mixes. Otherwise, I'd say it's just personal preference.

Personally all my regs have standard black covers and that won't be changing any time soon.

And what about gray? And I've seen red somewhere also.

They're just pretty colors so you can color coordinate with your BC or wetsuit as desired. :rofl3:

don't overthink it...

Colored reg covers -- bad idea if you're using them to separate different mixes. Otherwise, I'd say it's just personal preference.

Personally all my regs have standard black covers and that won't be changing any time soon.

Why is it a bad idea to color code your regs? It seems to me that a system like, "the green one is oxygen clean" is perfectly reasonable. No one ever suggested it as a substitute for labeling your tanks.

Why not just have all your regs O2 clean?

You don't want to color code your regs. Bad way to mark different mixes while you're diving. There is a better way...

Why is it a bad idea to color code your regs? It seems to me that a system like, "the green one is oxygen clean" is perfectly reasonable. No one ever suggested it as a substitute for labeling your tanks.

ROYGBIV! I definitely wouldn't depend on a reg cover color at depth to differentiate between, say, 50/50 and 02. Mark your cylinders correctly, verify MOD before sticking a reg in your mouth and you don't need to color them. That being said, I do have a green cover on my deco reg because it is instantly and universally recognized as an O2reg and most people know not to mess with it or stick it where it shouldn't be.

You should have learned early in your diving career that the most important thing to consider in selecting gear is color coordination.

ROYGBIV! I definitely wouldn't depend on a reg cover color at depth to differentiate between, say, 50/50 and 02. Mark your cylinders correctly, verify MOD before sticking a reg in your mouth and you don't need to color them. That being said, I do have a green cover on my deco reg because it is instantly and universally recognized as an O2reg and most people know not to mess with it or stick it where it shouldn't be.

Aren't you saying the same thing that I did?

Why not just have all your regs O2 clean?

You don't want to color code your regs. Bad way to mark different mixes while you're diving. There is a better way...

You didn't answer my question. No one suggested using reg covers to identify mixes while diving. I was pretty clear on that when I asked my question. I also don't see where the OP suggested using colored regs to identify different gas mixes. It was just a general question about whether or not colored regs had generally accepted meanings besides the ones he mentioned. The simple answer would be no. If you want all your regs oxygen clean, that's fine. Still doesn't explain why it is a bad idea to color code your regs.

Currently the only gas I dive is air. When I do start diving other mixes, I don't plan on identifying them with color coded regs. Personally I don't really see the point in color coding your regs either, but that doesn't make it a bad idea. Different things work for different people.

Back
Top Bottom