Atomic T2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

audission

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This looks like the daddy of all regulators.

My understanding is that Atomic basically have one design, and substitute higher quality materials for the pricier products - that correct?

Anyone here diving with one, if so, what's it like? (And how can I get hold of one without giving my bank manager an AGE..) :D

Actually they have been working their way down, substituting less exotic materials to create more affordable products while delivering on the same design.

I dove one in a pool but it was pre-cert for me and I wasn't discriminating enough to notice. However I hear nothing but good things about them.

Pete

To be honest with you, I just don't quite get the need for the more exotic materials. It seems that Brass has been working just fine for regs for years. Plus you probably shouldn't use the Ti one for high FO2 deco mixes. From what I've heard they all breathe pretty much the same (very nicely), so why spend more for the SS or Ti?

The only advantage that they list on their website that makes sense to me, is they no longer have the need to chrome plate their reg parts, which is a very environmentally unfriendly process.

This looks like the daddy of all regulators.
I thought so...btw that's mac daddy..:)

My understanding is that Atomic basically have one design, and substitute higher quality materials for the pricier products - that correct?
Pretty much. As you go up the price range they get lighter also. And the percentage of exotic materials changes. The biggest change is that everything on the T2 is Titanium vs. the others which will use a percentage of Brass or other metal internally. If you read the fine print, you'll notice that the lower end models only get a TI demand lever assy. in the 2nd stages.

One thing about the T2 is that the internal components of the 1st stage are all titanium also so there's never any corrosion should water accidentally get in.

It's slightly lighter than the B2's which might be worth something if you travel a lot like I do - since I carry-on my regs that almost 1lb. difference is nice. I also have the very minimal Scubapro mini-gauges for the same reason.
Anyone here diving with one, if so, what's it like?
It's the sweetest breathing reg I've ever owned. I've occasionally almost forgotten it's in my mouth there's no WOB (work-of-breathing) even at depth. And it stays completely dry, I've been inverted at 120' with no hint of moisture. The best thing about the better Atomics - I think the B2, ST1, and (maybe) M1 all get the TI 2nd stage. It makes a difference in jaw fatigue since it's super light. I dove a B1 before I bought the T2 so I've used Atomic Regs for about 6 years now.
(And how can I get hold of one without giving my bank manager an AGE..) :D
I don't think you can, they're $1500 everywhere. Authorized dealers have to pretty much sell at their price. Someone once told me he can get 10% off locally. LeisurePro recently e-mailed that they're selling the M1 discounted.

Consider the new ST1 also, both have the same second with SS used for the 1st stage. It's as corrosion resistant at the T2. Same performance - same 2 year service interval etc. Had they sold it when I bought my T2, I'd have bought it instead and saved $600...

Word on the street (and in scubadiving.com gea reviews) is that all Atomic regs perform at the same high level. My suggestion would be to save your money and go with a Z2, B2 (if you want the swivels) or M1 (if you want cold water sealed). Sure, the first stage on the T2 is slightly lighter, but leave out 2 pairs of socks and you've made up the difference. Plus - you can pay a lot of extra baggage fees with the savings.

Rich

T2 is not a great value as compared to the Z2 or the B2, unless weight (talking about a pound at the most) is that important. It is true all the regulators breathe the same which is excellent, as they all have the same exact parts kits (except for the non jet seat 1st stages found in older models). If you planning on going tech with it you may want the M1 because it is environmentally sealed and the reg can be used with 100% o2 for a deco bottle, unlike the T2 which can only go to 80% due to the nature of titanium. The environmental seal can be added to all of the regulators, however.

Complete waste of money IMHO. You can buy a reg that performs just as well for less than 1/3 of the cost. Don't believe the hype. All high end regs perform well. Most can be found for around 500 if you shop around enough.

Complete waste of money IMHO. You can buy a reg that performs just as well for less than 1/3 of the cost. Don't believe the hype. All high end regs perform well. Most can be found for around 500 if you shop around enough.

Right.... they're called Z2's :D

I "fondled" a T2 in the shop. I wouldn't pay the money for it myself (and I dive an M1 and a Z2).

For any above 40 F water I'd go with the Z2. Great value for money IMO :)

I have a Ti2. I bought it with a lot of other gear. I truly had no idea what I was getting. I love that reg. I don't dive it much, to at all, any more. I use a set of apeks on my doubles. I was shocked when I found out that other regs didn't breathe like it does upside. :D

While I love it, I certainly wouldn't have paid that kind of money for it (over $600 is that kind of money to me). It must say something though that I can't bring myself to part with it either.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom