A few very specific questions.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shekes

Contributor
Reaction score
I am recreational warm water diver. I fly to dive and can check 40lb max, and that includes my my big cam, trunks, sunscreen, pacifier, hamster etc. Sometimes I will be diving with a big cam. Like all babies I move around and use my limbs a lot. I am buying online, LDS is not an option..

For my very first set of equipment I am trying to find the optimal regulator for my needs being:

1) most comfortable, light and low-drag second stage (after 4 dives/day my jaws get tired)
2) adjustable second stage (easy-breathing is nice, but I don't like being inflated)
3) not only do I get dry mouth, I clearly feel the dry air in my throat and lungs, I don't even like air-conditionned rooms, never mind heating a car
4) solid and abusable both stages, I managed to break any watch of any brand or price, in 35 years only one lasted two years, the rest: on day to six months.
5) preferably offered by scubatoys

I am sort of decided on Maximus, and Gemini for octo. However:

A) I read a few posts claiming that Maximus breathes wet when upside down. And I do swim and (will) shoot video upside down.
B) Sherwood is not represnted where I live (Ireland)
C) There could be a better option that I haven't found yet. (Scubatoys offers Zeagle Envoy Deluxe for $140 less than the Maximus).

I thought that one solution to servicing Sherwood could be servicing at destination, before actually going to dive. But I am not sure how practical it would be, how long it'd take etc.

Well I don't have all the answers, since I haven't tried anything but I think I can shed some light on a few things.

Item 1) Try a Sea-cure mouldable mouthpiece on whatever reg you get. That cured all problems I had with tired jaws, even after long days of diving.

Item 3) Metal second stages help with this, I think Mares still has some all metal seconds, others will add to the list I'm sure.

Item C) I LOVE my Zeagle, I own 1 now, and 2 more are on order. Phenomenal performance and I would recommend them to anyone, BUT they breathe the dryest of any reg I've used.

I hope this helps at least a little. Good luck finding the right reg for you.

Jim

Thanks Jimmer!

I was going to order a SeaCure anyway. Good to know that Zeagle breathes dry. I was doubting.

I guess I'll get the Maximus.

Interestingly when you ask a a question that is a bit broader, you get blasted for it and once you get more specific not many bother to answer at all.

I'm sure you'll enjoy the Maximus. I haven't used a Sherwood since my open water training 14 years ago, but I can't say I've heard many people complain about them as far as being good reliable regs.

I would try a moldable mouth piece. Someone recently said it made a world of improvement for them. reduced fatigue, improved comfort, and they have not bitten through it since switching.

Check out the Zeagle Envoy Deluxe. Good price, performs well, and adjustable. I have the standard Envoy as my safe second. No difference to me between it and my DS/V.

My godfather likes to have a piece of hard candy in his mouth while diving. Try it, I will be on my next set of dives if I remember to by some.

Maximus it is then.

I don't know about diving with candy. It is a neat idea. But I think the risk of choking might outweigh the benefits.

Try a moldable mouthpiece, but don't throw out the old one until you know you like the new on. I've tried the moldable mouthpieces and hate them. Just like any gear, they aren't for everyone.

As far as the dry mouth goes you can go with Apollo Bio-Filter Regulator Moisture System it is expensive but works well. I dive with a Scubapro MK25/X650 with a Ocenic Omega II oct. the reason is it is a very streamlined reg the X650 does not stick out very far from your mouth and in strong current it will not free flow like in a river. The Omega II is a side breathing reg and it is very small and streamlined attached to your BC. it also breaths very easy and has no up or down to it so it can be employed in a lot of positions. I believe you need to have second stage available when you are supervising or teaching.
And Welcome to Pro Diving.

Thank you!

I thought about the Apollo filter already. What I didn't like about it was that it is an additional device rather than an integral part of the regulator. That implies more complexity, additional failure points and costs. However, I might still get it in the future. Diving all over the world we are bound to breath air from bad compressors or tanks. In the long run it might prevent some serious health problems.

As to scubapro: scubatoys don't carry it, and personally I don't like it.

I mean I don't actually know anything about the functionality of it. I just don't like the brand. "Scuba" is kind of unoriginal and "pro" is just misplaced. The majority of divers including me are recreational divers, no pros.

It just has this flair of hobby militarism, wannabe extreme. To me diving isn't work but a game and gear isn't weapons but rather toys. And then you see this SCUBAPRO written everywhere, all over things and people. All in black, all the same, like underwater goths, DIR, MIB, FBI...

If it were the obvious best option, I'd still buy it, but not if I have so many brands and models to pick from.

Back
Top Bottom