SDHC for my g9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LULA

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi.

I received my G9 today:D I have to buy a sd card. I'm going to mozambique next friday and want to take as much pictures as possible I'm thinking a 4 GB card , were I live I can easily buy this 3 models:

TRANSCEND 150x SDHC Class 6 Welcome to Transcend Website - 150x SDHC Class 6

Kingston 4GB SDHC -
Kingston Technology Company - Flash Memory - Secure Digital Cards - High-Capacity

SanDisk Extreme® III SDHC 4GB
SanDisk | Products | Memory Cards | SD Cards | Extreme III SD Cards

I want a fast card because the raw writing can be a litle slow , does the card really makes a big diference ? The transcend claims to have 150X wich is faster than the usual 133X.And does the diferent brands that diferent?

Thank you

By the way the sanDisk is the most expensive one 75 € wile the kingston I can get it for 38 €

Can't help you out with the card, but whereabouts in Moz are you going and for how long ? The resort may have a CD writer so that you can back up your images instead of keeping them all on your card.

Generally, the speed of the card past a certain point only makes a difference in downloading the card to your computer, not in-camera. I think with the Canon DSLRs at least a 20x card (the equivalent of the SanDisk Extreme III) exceeds the in-camera write times.

That is exactily what I wold like to know , the camera write times , in my g9 does it matter between a 80X and a 133X card does it make a diference in writing raw ?

Thank you

To my knowledge, no. Both exceed your maximum write speed to the camera, and should allow you to shoot in burst mode, though eventually you will come up against the buffer. The only difference you'll notice is downloading the raw files to your laptop - but both speeds also exceed most readers' ability to transfer as well, unless you have a high speed firewire reader.

I agree with BurBunny, the cards exceed the write speed of the camers, so no problem there. If you are going to shoot RAW(which I would underwater) you'll be able to fit around 220 photo's on a 4GB card - depending on how long your holiday is it may not be enough. Personally I do not like the idea of having 1 large card in your camera and shooting all your photo's on it. If you loose tha camera on the last day you have nothing. I usually take a few 1GB and 2GB cards on holiday - If I lose the camera then I lose 1-2 days of photo's, but I stille have the rest ons my other cards. (I also back them up on my Ipod just to be safe)

Adriaan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom