Camera advice Sea & Sea vs. cannon G9

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lizzy9292

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My husband and I are buying each other a camera for Christmas and can't decide on which is best. We are looking at the Sea & Sea DX1G and the Cannon G9 with and Ikelite housing. I think the G9 is a better camera but not sure which would be better underwater. I'll take any advice I can get on quality, easy of use, etc.

Thanks

I have handled both. The G9 is a fantastic camera with great screen.....IMHO, better glass and many more functions (useful for topside).

I bought the DX1G instead. It is much more compact and lighter, had a much wider angle lens which you will need UW, MUCH easier to use. Changing Fstops and Shutter speed is a lot simpler on this camera. If you choose to set your WB manually (although not too important with RAW files), you can also set the Fn button to activate the WB menu. (I believe that the G9 can also do this). Build quality is excellent.

Write speeds can take a little longer on the DX1G....

Canon G9 hands down........Although it will take some practice learning it's capabilities since it has some pretty advanced features. Plus with an ikelite DS strobe you get real hard wired TTL OR manual flash control right from the housing to the camera. Add the shorter Ikelite port and W20 lens and you have more than enough capability to shoot UW with....

The Sea and Sea is a Ricoh camera, not necessarily bad bit certainly not as great a performer as the Canon G9.

For the bet source I've found on shooting the G9 (and G7 beofre it, etc.) got to MyCanonG7

YMMV

dhaas

Without a doubt, G9 + Ikelite Housing + DS125 strobe..

Well, I have the DX-1g and am very happy with it. I Just got back from the Galapagos Isands and I got some terrific pictures with this camera. The camera offers very fast shutter lag so that you don't have to "lead" your subject to take a pic. What you see in your LCD monitor is what you get when you take the picture. I also took lots of above water shots with it and was very impressed with the pictures that I got. The DX-1g camera is the Ricoh GS100 and the reviews on that camera have been very good. So, I guess I'll be a bit contrary and say that the DX-1g is the camera I would go with. I'll be posting some pics on my gallery in a few weeks. If you want any other info feel free to contact me at jamescrew6@verizon.net

Regards,

Bill

Well, I have the DX-1g and am very happy with it. I Just got back from the Galapagos Isands and I got some terrific pictures with this camera. The camera offers very fast shutter lag so that you don't have to "lead" your subject to take a pic. What you see in your LCD monitor is what you get when you take the picture. I also took lots of above water shots with it and was very impressed with the pictures that I got. The DX-1g camera is the Ricoh GS100 and the reviews on that camera have been very good. So, I guess I'll be a bit contrary and say that the DX-1g is the camera I would go with. I'll be posting some pics on my gallery in a few weeks. If you want any other info feel free to contact me at jamescrew6@verizon.net

Regards,

Bill

Hi Bill...you mean GX100 not GS100..... I have to agree with you. It seems to have a cult camera status now as opposed to the G9 which may have more mpix.....I do think the G9 has great pic quality but I think too many people overlook the Ricohs as they have been sold to the Canon name.

Check out the Ricoh forums in DPreview.com there are many many posts and so examples of what this camera can do. Many pro photographers are starting to use it as a backup to their D200's topside. The ease of use and access to functions is what sets this camera apart.....just a few buttons and scroll wheels to access everything from manual focus to WB or ISO settings. Two scroll wheels to simultaneously set Fstop and shutter speed (just like Nikon). The Canon is definitely more complicated to use (and way bigger and heavier).

I have held and used the two side by side.....I will stand by my choice in the DX-1G and Sea&Sea's YS-110 strobe. I may not be great at UW shots yet but topside, this camera rocks and is a great backup to my DSLR which is seeing less everyday use.....just gotta get better and learning lighting principles and strobe angles underwater now....

Having said that, the goal is to get a D300 and housing next year.... :wink: ONLY after I start taking fantastic pictures consistantly with my current baby

Eskasi, I did mean the GX100 and I agree with what you say. I am not a professional photographer but I want a camera that will allow me to take very nice pics and this camrea does just that at a fraction of the cost of a DSLR with a housing. Plus you get that great wide angle lens which came in very handy in the Galapagos. If you check out my gallery you will see some of the shots that I took with my DX-8000G this July when I went to Fiji and I think they came out very well. Sadly, I broke the 8000G 10 days before I left for the Galapagos and opted to buy the DX-1g for the trip. This camera has many of the functions of a DSLR but is very easy to use. I also got a YS-110 strobe and like that alot as well. Megapixels, in my opinion, don't mean much after 6-8 unless you are going to print poster sized pics. The DX-1g is a 10mp camera and that will be more than enough for all my shooting needs.

Regards,

Bill

I have been looking at both as well and one down side I see in the DX-1G is lack of TTL that you get with the G9 and Ike housing. So far I think this may be the main reason for me to go with the G9. As a newbie to UW Photog I believe having TTL will give me better pictures sooner not having to experiment with manual settings. JMO

As with many of the newer point-n-shoot cameras there is no zoom function in the macro mode. The lens is fixed at wide angle in the macro mode so you have to move the entire camera to and from the subject to fill the frame. This can be a problem when you have to get so close that you cannot use the internal strobe without getting a shadow from the area the strobe cannot cover because of the closeness. The extreme closeness can likewise be a problem for an external strobe. Another option is to back away from the subject then crop the photo later to get it to fill the frame. The higher megapixel Canon G9 and DX-1G can easily handle the cropping.

Another option is to not use the macro mode and stay the minimum 18 inches from the subject (Canon G9) and zoom in on it. This violates the "get close as possible" rule. The farther distance also reduces the on-board strobe's capability but not necessarily an external one.

The canon G9 has 4X zoom and the DX-1G has 3x zoom. Both cameras appear to have image stabilization which is a major plus.

The DX-1G appears to have zoom capability in the macro mode. If so, I consider that to be a major factor. I use it all the time on my old Oly C4000Z.

I don't believe that true TTL (hard wired) is all that fool proof. I think some adjustments are frequently needed to compensate for the subjects color, background color etc. One setting is never applicable to all circumstances. I don't find myself making many adjustments to my Inon D-180 slave strobe which is not true TTL but instead operated by a fiber optic cable.

You will likely pay twice as much for the DX-1G than the G9 in a Canon housing.

Gilligan is right the DX-1g does allow zoom in the macro mode. However, his cost comparison is slightly off. You will pay more for the DX-1g but it is one-third more not twice as much. If you go with Ikelite housing the cost is approximately the same as the DX-1g. I'm not sure what the shutter lag is on the G9 but the fact that the DX-1g lag time is very short is a real bonus for me. I like the fact that what you see in your LCD screen is what you will get when you take the picture. I'm not a great photographer like Gilligan (I have seen his pics and they are always incredible) but it is difficult enough to take pics underwater without trying to remember to lead the subject as well. Just my thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom