Spear gun refinishing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladbak1

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anybody refinished their gun before? What do you use to refinish? I'm thinking varnish would be no good. What about something for a wood boat deck?

Ya know, I don't really know! It's an AB Biller 36 special. Reddish brown wood.

If its Teak, you can use Teak Wood Oil.
I redid my Riffe and it turned out very nice.
I started with some fine grit sand paper, then oiled it up. (the speargun that is.)

If it is teak, clean it down till it turns an ugly gray color. Don't worry when you apply the teak oil it will turn back to wood color. Go to a boat supply store and look for teak refinishing stuff.

If it's oak, or any other hardwood, other than teak, you can use linseed oil. Waterproof, very durable and it brings out the grain very nicely. Linseed oil is what we use to maintain our wood handled tools in the fire service.

Sounds like it's Mahagony!!!!!!
Teak turns grety if not cared for over a period of time.
If it's teak - oil it. Marine supply - or get Riffe's kit to do a professional job.
MAhogany should be either varnished (not a great option) or Urethane finished. If you choose a "hard finish" you must dismantle the entire gun, sand it seal all openings or after you are done water will make black spots/ blotches wherever it has found a way under the finish.

Would an epoxy product like West's Epoxy work on a gun like that?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom