Which SLR to buy? Nikon D40 or Canon Rebel (above water)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
So... with the big sales on, trying to figure out which SLR to buy. The Cannon Rebel or the Nikon D40.

Here's the delimma... I've got an EOS 35mm film camera now with two lens. So should I stay with the Cannon because of this or go to the Nikon which I think I'll like better. (note my cannon lens are old. like 1990 made).

However, my point and shoot is Nikon (Coolpix 4600), which uses SD cards. My dive camera uses SD cards also. The Rebel uses the Compact Flash. I'd prefer to stay with the SD cards across the board if possible.

Is there any clear choice over the D40 and the Cannon Rebels?

BTW.... the local stores have a deal on the D40 for $649.
Comes with 18-55mm lens, 55-200mm lens, camera bag, and 2gb SD card, plus a few other trinkets not worth mentioning.

My suggestion - do a google search for "Canon support" and "Nikon support" and read some of the forums concerning warranty and out-of-warranty repair on both cameras if can't decide.

Usually, prior gear or obvious "I like the way this one feels/works" is the telling issue, but when you can't decide, the manufacturer's support can make a significant difference.

I was a longtime Canon owner, but bought my first big digital as a Nikon. Never, EVER again. I had a warranty problem that has soured me on EVER owing a Nikon again. Next digital SLR will be a Canon.

Cheers,

-S

I was a longtime Canon owner, but bought my first big digital as a Nikon. Never, EVER again. I had a warranty problem that has soured me on EVER owing a Nikon again. Next digital SLR will be a Canon.

Cheers,

-S

question: Was your warranty issue with Nikon USA or Nikon Canada? Only asking as it might be a different experience if they are seperate.

Nikon Canada. Simple "flash died" problem. They kept the camera for 3 months, then shipped it "back" to the wrong place. When I finally got it back, the flash was working but the pop-up mechanism was toast (was fine when it went in). Given the delays, I opted NOT to send it back but determined to NEVER buy a Nikon again, and to avoid pop-up flashes whenever possible.

It was a Nikon Coolpix 5700. It also has about the worst low-light focus on the planet, which is why it was replaced this past month with a Canon A570. After fighting and fussing with the Nikon's menus and such for several years, the simplicity and elegance of the Canon is just astounding. Also incredible how inexpensive a really good digital camera as become.

My next DSLR will probably be the Canon 40D.

Cheers,

-S

Mike,

I have been going through the same decision making process. I think either company, you will get a powerful camera setup. I have determined to purchase the Rebel XTi and build up my lens collection. Then, when needed, I will upgrade the housing in the future.

2 things made me decide going with Canon:

1. In my hands, I like the way it feels and the layout of the menus. For me, they just make sense.

2. Cost of lenses is less expensive overall than the Nikons. And there really isn't that big of a difference to me to justify the extra cost.

With that being said, I am sure I would be just as happy with a Nikon and both these points are minute. The D40 is an incredible camera for the cost and if you want to go over to Nikon, this would be the best time since you're only invested by 2 lenses with the Canon.

I have also read the Nikon has problems with getting new product out in a timely manner. I don't have personal experience with this but did heard this from reliable resources in the industry.

My suggested would be to go to a store and get both of them in your hands, play with the menus and shoots a couple of pics. This is what sealed the deal for me.

Good luck in your decision making! I know it's a tough one! :D

This is like the eternal "Mac vs. PC" debate. Neither is universally right for everyone.

I like the MUCH lower noise of the Canons at high ISO. Since you're looking at this for topside, that can definitely come into play. Ergonomics for your hands and brain in accessing the functions makes a difference, too - definitely go play with them in a store before you buy.

When evaluating a "kit" - do some research on whether those lenses really are a bargain for what you want to do - are they high enough quality glass, or would you end up replacing them soon anyway?

One final word - make sure you're evaluating the D40 as compared to the Rebel XTi. The old Rebel is still out there - really nice value, but not the direct competitive model to the D40.

Finally, memory is cheap. While having universal memory between your equipment is handy, don't make your decision primarily on a >$50 item.

I have the Canon Rebel G 35mm and the Canon digital rebel. 3 decent lenses and some other accessories.

I just bought the Nikon D200.

The fact is that both companies have great products. As long as you don't get the cheapest possible 60mm(etc) lenses, you have access to great lenses for both makes. I find that the high end lenses are more expensive in Canon but that the midrange lenses are comparable.

Both cameras are rather easy to use. Both are nice and compact. Both have good lenses.

Canon (until the D300 and D3) has less noise in high ISO (which doesn't matter one bit to me). Nikon's got faster start up (horray!) and better autofocus (which I never use anyway). Canon can take continuous shoots for longer bursts but Nikon can do it faster. Its really all just what you prefer.

Head down to the camera shop and get the cameras in your hands, get the sales rep to show you where the menus and controls are, take a couple shots, then decide which feels better for you. :)

Happy hunting!
PS - Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ - stellar place to read reviews - check it out. :coffee:

While the 40 looks appealing, realize that there aren't any Nikon prime lenses with built-in autofocus motors.

Hi,

I was looking at getting the Nikon D-40x as it was a better choice than the D-40. Then, after much searching on the net, I discovered that you can get a Nikon D80 for just a little more ($250 for body) over the D40x ($230). The D80 has almost double the resoluton (10.2 Mp over 6.1 Mp). I am opting for an Nikor 18-135 lens to cover most uses. This sells for about $200 online. The housing for any of these is greatyer than the cost of the camera equipment by a factor of 3, not including the strobe. I hope this helps you.

I just had a buddy of mine go through this decision and was helping him look at the different options. In short, they are the market leaders. I think you'll get a decent product either way. So what are you looking to shoot?

Anything specific? What's going to matter to you? High ISO? Lens price? Buying used / using old lenses?

I shoot with a D40 using Nikons 18-200 VR lens. I think that is a hard to beat for what I use it for and what I shoot.

Again, I think they both have excellent products. :)

Back
Top Bottom