How to prevent housing from twisting on tray?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunofs

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I recently bought a WP-DC16 Canon housing (for a A720IS) and a Fantasea tray (which is admittedly a cheap solution for the short term, but budget was tight). The housing fits the tray fine, but twists around the tripod mounting hole / screw, and eventually the screw becomes loose.

Since I also have an Inon strobe, I wanted to get an Inon mount adapter but they don't make one for this housing (it's one of the newer houses with the oval port), so no go there...

Any suggestions on how to prevent the housing from twisting on the tray?

Thanks,
Nuno

try using a peace of neoprene or a peace of closed cell foam. also try a spring lock washer if you don't know what they look like google it there about 10 or 20 cents and should take solve your problem

Whatever you do don't over tighten screw on tripod mounting hole. I had the same problem and applied double stick Velcro to the housing body and to the tray next to the tripod mount, works fine.

f3nikon's solution is probably the easiest one.

I made my own tray and took that problem into consideration. My old Oly PT-010 housing has two feet on the bottom which if properly in contact with the tray will prevent the housing from turning. The third from the bottom photo on this page shows it.

I suggest you make your own tray for the housing and strobe.

Thanks for the ideas, guys. I ended up using a piece of dense foam between the housing and the tray, and that took care of the twisting... but I think I may be tightening the screw too much because of the extra space the foam takes, need to double check that.

Thanks again,
Nuno

Sorry for bumping an old thread, but I can’t seem to find a more recent one.

My tray has the option for dual or single “tripod” mounts, but my housing only has a single mount / port. The suggestions above are OK, but I know there must be a simple, more effective solution that’s been developed over the years since this post.

Can someone please help me out?

Thank you!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom