Jellies in Coral Bay?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surge

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of you who have been to Coral Bay/Exmouth, and have been snorkeling (My Wife can't Dive as she is Asthmatic) so I will be snorkeling when not diving. However, she get bad allergic reactions to the Jelly Fish Stings that we have around the Perth/Rottnest Areas. Are there lot of Jelly Fish up there to look out for? And, if so, do you know of any good tips to not getting stung by the jellies. We have heard of putting stockings on, but that sounds a bit weird. Maybe other ways?

ThanX in Advance.

Hi there,

I went to Coral Bay in July 4 years ago and had no problems with Jelly Fish. I hope you will have a great time, see a whale shark!

Cheers

There usually are very few if any jellies that sting on the Ningaloo Reef. Right now they are few and far between.

From April to July there are sometimes red bells around and these do sting, but for most people it is simply an itchy, tingling sensation with a lovely red welt that lasts for a day or two. We always recommend full length wetsuits at this time of year and luckily most of the red bells do not come inside the reef to the shore snorkelling areas.

If your wife is sensitive to jelly stings, I would suggest a long wetsuit or a lycra at any time of year as there may be tiny white/clear ones around...these do not sting (at least I have never been stung by them) but perhaps they will cause an irriation to those who are really sensitive? I don't know for sure.

Full body wetsuits are available for hire in both Coral Bay and Exmouth. Lycra tops and full suits are available for purchase. You can also get these in Perth.

If you want more information, feel free to PM me :)

Back
Top Bottom